: An unattractive
or strange-looking character's appearance improves when they appear again next season or in the sequel.
- Straight: Alice, who first appeared with Nerd Glasses and braces, and rather frumpy clothes is Put on a Bus at the end of the season. When she appears again this time looking prettier, the explanation given is that she spent time at a fancy "beauty farm" and got a makeover.
- The girl claiming to be Alice doesn't even remotely resemble a prettier version of the Alice that left; she looks like someone completely different.
- The Hand Wave given is that Alice did a stint in the Peace Corps helping starving children in Darkest Africa, which brought out her true beauty.
- Downplayed: Alice gets more flattering frames for her glasses and her wardrobe upgrades from Impossibly Tacky Clothes to Adorkable Hollywood Nerd ensembles.
- Alice is one of The Beautiful Elite and gets Put on a Bus at the end of the season. When she returns, she has gained about 20-30 lbs, her hair is frizzy, and she has acquired Nerd Glasses and braces.
- Alice noticeably ages as the series goes on. Alice goes from a good-looking twenty-something to a slightly chubbier middle-aged woman to a wrinkly fifty-four old over the course of the series. Although she is still considered attractive among her age bracket, it is generally agreed that she was quite the looker when she was younger.
- Subverted: Alice appears prettier, but that turns out to be her twin sister.
- Double Subverted: Turns out Alice got prettier too.
- Parodied: Every girl on the show except the lead is replaced by someone completely different.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice leaves Hollywood Homely, and comes back looking exactly the same.
- Enforced: "We need to make this character more appealing, especially in light of the changes of last season."
- Lampshaded: "Wow! You look great, Alice! That trip away did you some good!"
- Invoked: Alice, at the end of the season, wins a trip to a high-end medical spa.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice refuses to go, on the grounds that she (and everyone else) thinks that she looks good just as she is.
- Discussed: "Does Alice look different to you? Like...prettier?"
- Conversed: "Yeah...it's weird. She looks prettier, but still like herself."
- Deconstructed: Every season, Alice looks more and more attractive, because she's been compulsively changing her appearance to look pretty, hoping to catch the attention of Happily Married Dirk.
- Played For Drama: Her new look lands her in a showdown with the Alpha Bitch.
Back to Progressively Prettier