Playing With: Prison Rape
Basic Trope: A rape that takes place in prison.
Back to Prison Rape
- Straight: Bob is sent to prison and raped by his cellmate.
- Exaggerated: Bob is sent to prison and gang-raped by everyone in his cell block the first night. Oh, and did we mention that most of the rapists are black?
- Downplayed: Although Bob faces some sexual harassment, it doesn't go as far as rape or sexual assault.
- Inverted: Bob (the newcomer in Trope State Correctional Facility) rapes his cellmate (or a guard) the first night there.
- Gender Inverted: Alice gets sent to prison and raped by her cellmate or a guard.
- Double Subverted: Only to hold this against Bob and have his way with Bob later.
- Some prisoners make a bet over who is going to rape Bob first, but none of them manages to succeed because the others try to sabotage it; meanwhile, Bob is oblivious to the whole thing.
- People from outside cheer on those who they think will rape Bob... yet all they're doing is giving an honest talk with him, and are disgusted with the idea they'll rape Bob.
- Zig Zagged: Some characters in Trope State Correctional Facility are raped (or commit rape, or both), others are not.
- Averted: No rapes occur at TSCF. All sex is consensual.
- Invoked: Bob notices a new Bishounen come in, and shouts "Hey guys! Fresh meat over here!!".
- "Bob, this prison is full of rapists. You won't last past the first shower. That's why you should join me in trying to escape".
- The guards turn a blind eye to the rape, allowing the prisoners to rape each other in exchange for cooperation with authorities.
- The prisoners (and guards) refuse to commit rape, being disgusted by the very idea.
- Alex tells Bob who to look out for and who not to talk to, and protects Bob while in with him.
- Whenever a new prisoner or guard arrives, the Warden warns him that rapists will not be tolerated and that anyone caught committing rape will be summarily executed in the courtyard. The Warden also makes them watch old videos of these executions to show that he means business.
- Bob carves his toothbrush into a fine point, and uses it to stab his rapist to death at the first oppertunity.
- The President makes it a goal to eliminate prison rape, launching sweeping investigations and punishing guards who turn a blind eye to it.
- Discussed: "Poor Bob! How will he survive the next 15 years?!"
- Conversed: "He'd better hope he gets parole..."
- Implied: Shortly after his prison sentence begins, Bob begins walking with a limp and complaining of pain in his anus. He also has some... suspiciously-located bruises.
- Bob is traumatized by what he went through, especially because no one will take him seriously. (Even thinking that maybe he deserved it.)
- Bob can not take it anymore.
- That's how Bob started raping people (men, women or children) in the first place. He wanted to establish dominance to cope with the trauma.
- Reconstructed: Eventually, Bob finds someone that takes him seriously, and gets the help he needs. He eventually goes on to lead a normal (or normal-ish, depending on the length of his prison sentence) life.
- Played For Laughs: Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male
- Played For Drama: Rape as Drama
Back to Prison Rape