: A dictatorial dystopia
gives itself a nice, democratic-sounding name.
- Straight: The People's Republic of Tropeistan is a tyrannical dictatorship.
- Exaggerated: The Free and Liberated People's Just and Glorious Peaceful Democratic Workers' Republic of Tropeistan is an Orwellian twentiethworld hellhole where Individuality Is Illegal and where the smallest Thought Crime warrants eternal torture.
- Downplayed: The Republic Of Tropeistan isn't a republic but is actually a monarchy with a strict but fair king. It still has a misleading name, is an autocracy, but isn't too bad.
- The Holy Empire of Wikipedium is a secular liberal democratic federation.
- Subverted: The People's Republic of Tropeistan is..... a functioning democracy.
- Double Subverted:
- In this universe, dictatorships are not taken seriously unless they give themselves democratic-sounding names.
- The People's Republic of Tropeistan doesn't get any aid from other countries because they're all going to their rival neighbours the Democratic People's Republic and Commonwealth of the Peaceful, Definitely Not Oppressed Tropese, who routinely threaten to bomb all their neighbours.
- Zig Zagged:
- The People's Republic of Tropeistan is a dictatorship... but then the people revolt! However, a military junta takes control shortly after that. But then another resistance movement revolts and takes over the government....
- Tropeistan calls itself something in Tropese which can be translated as both "the People's Republic of Tropeistan" and "the State of Tropeistan". The protagonists never visit Tropeistan, and the stuff they hear about it is pretty contradictory.
- Averted: Tropeistan simply calls itself the State of Tropeistan, or even just Tropeistan.
- Enforced: International law requires that all dictatorships have democratic-sounding names.
- Lampshaded: "Tropeistan, isn't that a democracy?" "Its full name is the People's Democratic Republic of Tropeistan." "Ah I see, so it's a communist dictatorship."
- Invoked: "Change it from Empire to People's Republic, it sounds better and makes us sleep better at night.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Peoples Republic? That's stupid, Empire sounds way more badass"
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: The governments of the world used to have the best intentions when they started and so they all had democratic names. Unfortunately, Real Politik kicks in and the progressive policies and democratic-ness has to be dropped. Its a point of shame for every leader, but they can't change it because of the idealism that every citizen embraces.
- Reconstructed: The governments are given ideals to aspire to by their very names, and once some semblance of order comes to the country, they're reminded of the principles that the nation was created under and decide to pursue those again.
Back to People's Republic of Tyranny