'''Basic Trope''': A character is missing one or both parents.
* '''Straight''': Bob either has no idea what happened to his parents - or they're dead.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob has no idea where any family whatsoever lives, and is entirely on his own.
** [[DisappearedDad Only one of Bob's]] [[MissingMom parents is missing.]]
** Or, both of Bob's parents are still alive and well. They're just absent from home alot.
** Bob has grown up in a war zone - parents abandoning children and dying would be a common sight there.
** Bob is really a RidiculouslyHumanRobot and such a personality would need for Bob to remember some parental unit.
** Bob's parents are the clingiest people you can imagine - they won't let Bob go anywhere.
** Bob abandons his parents.
* '''Subverted''': Bob's parents show up halfway through the story.
* '''Double Subverted''': Those were just impostors. Bob's real parents are dead.
* '''Parodied''': Bob, now a grown man, walks around every few seconds going "Mommy! Daddy!" before remembering that he's an adult now.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob's parents show up halfway through the story, but those were just impostors. But they ''do'' know where Bob's real parents are...
* '''Averted''': Bob's parents are still around.
* '''Enforced''': "There's no way Bob's parents would let him on an adventure like this!" "So we'll rewrite the character a bit. [[ConvenientlyAnOrphan Make him an orphan.]] Problem solved, and two fewer actors to hire."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Yeah, ever since I was a young boy, I've never known where my parents are."
* '''Invoked''': Emperor Evulz decides to kill Bob's parents in order to dishearten him.
* '''Exploited''': Emperor Evulz [[BreakThemByTalking breaks Bob by talking]] about his missing parents.
* '''Defied''': The first thing Bob sets out to do is find his parents.
* '''Discussed''': "He kept asking me if I'd seen his parents. What is he, a lost child?"
* '''Conversed''': "Missing parents? Oldest one in the book!"
* '''Implied''': Bob's parents are never seen or mentioned in the course of the show, despite him being young enough to likely have to rely on some guardian.
* '''Deconstructed''': Bob grows up without the love and affection that comes from a parent. This ultimately warps him and defines every relationship he has, as since he can't trust his parents, he has trouble trusting ''anybody''.
* '''Reconstructed''': Bob may have grown up without the love of a parent, but it goes a long way in defining the man he ultimately becomes.
Mom? Dad? Where are you? Maybe I'll find them back at ParentalAbandonment.
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???