: Physical transformations are not a pleasant experience.
- Straight: When Luna the werewolf transforms, she goes through agony.
- Exaggerated: The change is slow, her body distorts horribly, and we hear all the squishing and crunching that goes with it.
- Downplayed: Luna's transformation leaves her with a mild chestache.
- Justified: Her muscles, bones, and organs shifting around have got to affect her nerves somewhat.
- Inverted: Luna's transformations feel good.
- Subverted: Luna braces herself for her first transformation, but when it happens, it doesn't hurt at all.
- Double Subverted: That's only the first stage. The next is pure Body Horror.
- Parodied: By the time she reaches wolf form, she limps away with her tail between her legs, whimpering like a sad puppy, as her transformation has left her incapable of being any danger to anyone. Her friends decide to take her to a vet.
- Zig Zagged:
- While Luna's transformations are painful, other werewolves in the story appear to shapeshift painlessly.
- Luna's transformation was painful because it was her first time. Her body adjusts, and subsequent transformations are much easier... But after forcing her body to transform on several consecutive occasions, the pain becomes even worse than during her first time.
- Averted: Luna can change from human to wolf and vice versa with no pain.
- Lampshaded: "Whenever werewolves evolve to transform without pain, it'll be a miracle..."
- Invoked: The villain keeps Luna in a confined space too small for her werewolf form as she transforms in order to cause as much pain as possible.
- Exploited: One of Luna's potential victims takes advantage of Luna's crippling agony in order to get away safely.
- Defied: Luna takes a large dose of painkillers every full moon before the transformation.
- Discussed: "Oh, God, I am not looking forward to seeing the full moon tonight."
- Conversed: ???
- Luna slowly goes crazy from her transformations.
- Luna passes out in mid-transformation, and is killed while unconscious.
- The pain, among other reasons, contributes to Luna's self-loathing about being a werewolf, especially once it proved too much for her Heroic Willpower to overcome and she hurt her friends from losing control.
Back to Painful Transformation