- Straight: The Big Bad is known to have sexually abused children. People keep their children well out of sight accordingly.
- Exaggerated: In this setting, even so much as looking in the general direction of a child can get an adult branded as a pedophile.
- Downplayed: Others notice that a character is more comfortable with children than with adults and advise their own children to avoid him/her.
- Inverted: Sexual relationships with children are accepted, if not outright encouraged in this particular setting.
- Subverted: The Big Bad has no indications of pedophilic activity (e.g. child pornography, underage sexual partners, etc.)
- Double Subverted: But another lesser villain (maybe even one of the Big Bad 's own Mooks) does.
- An otherwise sane community goes on a vigilante Pædo Hunt, and treats it like the witches' trials of Salem and Europe.
- A child doesn't want to eat his/her vegetables, and accuses the adult who gave them the veggies of pedophilia.
- Bob is supervising his own children on the playground, and is accused of ogling children at the park.
- The cops bust down the door and arrest Bob in the middle of his 18th birthday party, because his girlfriend is still only 17.
Bob's Girlfriend: What are you doing?! That's my boyfriend!
Cop: Poor thing has Stockholm Syndrome. Don't worry, miss, this sick pervert won't ever be able to hurt you again!
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: The topic of pedophilia simply isn't dealt with.
- Enforced: Socio-political commentary, especially in a case of Writer on Board.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Bob is seen at the playground, sitting on the bench, watching the children play.
- Exploited: A politician is losing, and to make his opponent look bad, implies that the opponent is a pedophile.
- Defied: Bob shows that he is merely supervising his own children, and has no sexual interest in those kids, or any kids for that matter, and the accuser(s) lay off.
- Discussed: *sigh* "Another Pedophile Priest in the news..."
- Conversed: "Yes, sex with children (who clearly aren't ready for sex) is bad, but we shouldn't be getting so paranoid that a parent can't even supervise their children or change diapers in a public restroom without being accused of such a horrible crime."
- Can lead to paranoia that perfectly normal activities (such as a completely innocent Intergenerational Friendship or even normal parent-child affection) could be misinterpreted as pedophilia.
- The hysteria leads to people taking the issue less seriously, making it easier for real paedophiles to get away with it.
- Reconstructed: People are careful about how they behave towards children in public. Also, other people look at things like "Does this child seem uncomfortable?" or "Does that display of affection look like it's more appropriate between lovers than parents and children, such as a kiss on the lips?" before jumping to conclusions.
Back to Pædo Hunt