: All fictional video games are portrayed as 50s-80s era games.
- Straight: Bob is playing on a PS2. The graphics are 8 bit and the sound effects are beepy.
- Exaggerated: April is playing Pong on a PS3 which isn't plugged in to the television or the wall socket. The controller is from a SNES, and the SFX sound suspiciously like Super Mario Bros..
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob are playing on a console from a previous generation which, while plausible, raises the question of why they haven't upgraded yet.
- Bob and April have modded their consoles so that they can play classic games, or else bought a compilation of them from the PSN.
- Alternatively, the game is simply a port for the console
- A younger Bob is shown playing a PS3 game with Alice on an original Game Boy in the 60's.
- A video game taking place in modern times portrays movies as still being in the silent era.
- Subverted: We hear Pac-Man style beeps as Bob and Alice play on an Xbox 360. The camera then pans around to reveal a modern game on the screen. Alice compliments Bob on his ring tone as he answers his mobile. They're actually playing Halo 3.
- Double Subverted:
- Lacking a second player while Bob's on the phone, Alice quits Halo 3 and begins playing Pac-Man on the 360.
- Bob is playing a game with an intentional 8-bit feel.
- Bob excitedly gloats how many points he's got, and that he's reached level 80. Alice points out the console isn't plugged in, and that he hasn't played videogames in a while, has he?
- Bob buys two expensive videocards to run Pac-Man at higher graphics.
- Zig Zagged: Bob is seen playing on an 80's era game. Then he gets bored and he and Alice play a modern FPS...which turns out to be Doom. Then Bob's younger brother Rob comes in and asks if he can play on his new game when they're done with their old ones. Alice and Bob decide to let him have his fun. The game is then reveal to be completely sprite based. It's Disgaea 3.
- Enforced: Stock CGI footage and sounds are used to avoid lawsuits.
- Lampshaded: "Why don't we have any games from less than 15 years ago?"
- Invoked: Bob and Alice prefer the classics.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice and Bob are hardcore gamers. They pour all their disposable income into their consoles, PCs, games and seating.
- Discussed: "I wish I could afford something more modern but this Megadrive's all I've got..."
- Conversed: "Hey, have you heard about that new sitcom about gamers?" "Hm, they'll probably just hammer a joypad and make Atari sounds."
- Deconstructed: Bob only plays old Atari games because he's stuck in his childhood and can't acknowledge that anything has changed.
- Reconstructed: Alice buys him a newer console to try and get him to man up. It's a SNES.
- Plotted A Good Waste: Turns out Alice and Bob are both part of an experiment by the U.S. government to see if regular civilians can successfully replicate conditions from the 80s, and the duo are fittingly playing games from that time period.
- Played For Laughs: Everyone but Bob has modern games and consoles.
- Played For Drama: Bob ends up going to prison after trying to steal a newer console and cracking it to play downloaded games.
Back to Pac Man Fever
... Argh! Those Nintendos
are driving me crazy!