Playing With: Our Elves Are Better
: A race of different elves are superior to most inferior races.
- Straight: The different elves are better than the humans, the dwarves, and the normal elves.
- The elves are extremely foreign, yet completely advanced to the other races.
- The foreign elves have supreme technology, powerful magics, and better weapons than the other "backward" races.
- Elves excel in only one or two areas when compared to other races.
- While elves are physically and/or mentally superior to other races, they are reluctant to point this fact out.
- Elves' defining characteristic seems to be Small Name, Big Ego. They're quite arrogant and utterly confident of their superiority, but they lack the power and skill to back their claims.
- They are more knowledgeable than the other races, and their high-tech culture is more complex than their low-tech counterparts.
- Can't Argue with Elves
- Inverted: The elves are the inferior race, compared to the superior races. The dwarves are more tech-savvy, the goblins are more resourceful, the humans are more intelligent in general, and the normal elves are more generous.
- Despite having superior technology and intelligence, the elves are humble to other races.
- The elves are no more different than the other races and get along just fine with them.
- Double Subverted:
- They badmouth the other races in private.
- Until they acquire advanced technology and decide to gloat over and brag about their discovery over the other races.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- The superior race is not a race of elves.
- All races in the work are equal and see each other as such.
- Enforced: "Hey, let's make the elves different from the books we read about them!"
- Lampshaded: "We high elves are superior to all other races. The humans are rude, the dwarves are greedy, the goblins are violent, the moral elves are clueless, and they all try to find the technologies they don't share."
- Invoked: A human proclaims that there are four elements of magic. An elf mage snidely tells him that they have eight elements of elven magic.
- Exploited: Brendan the normal elf disguises himself as a foreign elf, and spies on the foreign elves to learn their secrets.
- The foreign elves want all races to be equal, so they share their technology and/or magic with the other races.
- "Hello, Keith. Can I take a look at your PDA for a sec? I know a lot about human technology!"
- Discussed: "We mountain elves sure do get along with each other. I wonder if the wood elves, the goblins, or the dwarves envy us?"
- Conversed: "Are those elves going to mock the humans for being inferior again?"
- Reconstructed: They realize that humans aren't all that perfect., restoring their pride as a superior race.
- Played For Laughs: Some humans and dwarves start imitating bits of elvish culture and get it hilariously wrong.
Now go back to Our Elves Are Better
, and don't let those inferior
humans see it.