Playing With: One-Winged Angel
Basic Trope: A Big Bad assumes a monstrous form for combat.
Back to One-Winged Angel
- Straight: The human Emperor Evulz sprouts horns and demonic wings.
- Exaggerated: Evulz escalates from one form to the next again and again and again, eventually becoming larger than the Earth and uglier than a Lovecraftian bowel movement.
- Evulz grows somewhat taller and more muscular, and his face distorts a bit.
- Evulz skin color and/or costume changes, but his frame remains the same.
- Turns Red
- The human appearance was just a disguise, and it would only get in the way during a fight.
- Evulz can shapeshift, and has a form that's better at combat than his current form. Why not use it?
- Evulz has a dangerous Psycho Serum that is only to be used in an absolute emergency. This is an absolute emergency.
- The already-monstrous Evulz crosses the Bishonen Line.
- Or Hiro transforms into a One-Winged Angel form and proceeds to epically defeat Evulz.
- Evulz is ALREADY huge and shrinks halfway through the final battle, becoming faster and deadlier after the transformation.
- Evulz is an Eldritch Abomination, but in the final confrontation he gains an advantage by Becoming a Real Boy, because Humans Are Special.
- Double Subverted:
- Zig Zagged: He reveals his new form. It's a cute little animal. The animal starts to tear the party apart. It shows a weakness to carrots. It Turns Red...
- Averted: Emperor Evulz kicks plenty of ass as a human.
- Enforced: "What says This Is the Final Battle better than our villain turning into a twenty-foot tall demon?"
- Lampshaded: "Puny do-gooders, BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM!!!"
- Invoked: Evulz knows he needs more power and downs the mutagen sample.
- Exploited: ???
- Evulz sneers at anyone who feels the need to alter his body to kick ass.
- "I will not turn into a giant snake. It never works."
- Discussed: "Don't let your guard down. When the going gets tough, fellows like these tend to turn into devils and sprout wings."
- Conversed: "Have you noticed how often villains have scary alternate forms?"
- Deconstructed: Evulz downs the mutagen sample, sprouts Combat Tentacles, and shortly thereafter dies of organ failure from having his biology so abruptly rearranged.
- ...Then rises up again as an unstoppable monstrosity, the mutagen having completed its work.
- ...Then he reveals that the physical mutations were just a side effect of changing his physiology so that he could transfer his mind into his castle.
- He killed himself on purpose to go to hell and subsequently take it over to gain even MORE power than what the mutagen sample would've given him had he survived.
- Played For Laughs: Emperor Evulz turns into a Waddle Dee.
- Played For Drama: Emperor Evulz's willingness to sacrifice his humanity for power is portrayed with appropriate gravitas.
Back to One-Winged Angel