Playing With: One-Hit Kill
Basic Trope: A weapon or move in a video game instantly kills another character in one shot
Back to One-Hit Kill
- Straight: The Player Character has a fire spell that spews instant death
- The same fire spell can continue through its original target, hitting Mook after Mook
- The fireball causes Cessation of Existence. note
- One-Hit-Point Wonder (any enemy, and likely the player too, can be instantly killed in one hit, probably including the Final Boss and Bonus Boss, thus averting Contractual Boss Immunity).
- Downplayed: The fire spell doesn't instantly kill the opponent, but it gradually depletes its energy until it reaches zero.
- Justified: The fire spell actually conjures a ludicrously large ball of fire that would indeed reduce any organic matter to ashes
- Inverted: The fire spell is used on a fire-type enemy... Who is healed by it.
- The fire spell causes instant death to minor Mooks, but not the Big Bad.
- The fire spell always depletes the opponent's energy to just one point.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: The PC summons up a ludicrously small fireball (e.g. strikes a match) which nonetheless reduces the Mooks to ashes in spectacular fashion.
- Zig Zagged: The fireball kills some Mooks in one cast and not others.
- Averted: None of the spells in the game are One-Hit Kill.
- Enforced: The spell in question is a key piece of the plot.
- Lampshaded: "Taste instant death!"
- Invoked: A Player Character must train their fire spell for hours before making its effectiveness reach the level of One-Hit Kill.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: No matter how much the Player Character trains, the fire spell will never perform a One-Hit Kill.
- Discussed: "Dude, I just got the highest rank on my fireball spell!"
- Conversed: "Wow, how did you just kill a 100-foot giant with a basketball-sized fireball?"
- ...But with training, they can almost negate the drawbacks entirely
- The fun of the game is in being a broken Badass who mows down mooks like a harvester through a wheat field.
Back to One-Hit Kill