: A group of people with a collective title has a number in the name that's actually lower than the number of members on the team's current roster.
- Straight: The superhero team known as The Troping Trio actually has four members.
- Exaggerated: The Troping Trio has 42 members and 19 honorary members.
- Downplayed: The Troping Trio have a Team Pet that is considered part of the team, but not in a serious Way.
- The Troping Trio was named before gaining a fourth member.
- "Trio" is actually the last names of the group members.
- Bilocal Bob, a member of The Troping Trio, has the power to duplicate himself into two people who don't get along, so they are often separated although still on the team.
- Inverted: The Troping Trio has two members.
- Subverted: The Troping Trio has four members, but one dies.
- Double Subverted: The fourth member's ghost joins the team.
- Parodied: The Troping Trio is composed of two members, but it's named like that because Troping Trio sounds better than The Troping Duo. Everyone comments on this.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- The Troping Trio has three members.
- The Troping Trio changes their name when a fourth member is added.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "You guys should change your name to The Can't-Count Quartet.'
- Invoked: The captured heroes intentionally tell the villain that they're known as The Troping Trio so that their extra members can come as a surprise when they do a rescue.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The Department of Superheroic Registry refuses the four members to license themselves under The Troping Trio title.
- Discussed: "Everyone will think of us as idiots if we name ourselves The Troping Trio with five members!"
- Conversed: "Wait... The Troping Trio has eight members? I guess Writers Cannot Do Math."
Back to One Extra Member