Playing With: Old Man Marrying a Child
Basic Trope: Lolicon, where the young girl is legally married to the older man.
Back to Old Man Marrying a Child
- Straight: Alice is 12, and she's married off to Bob, who is 50.
- Alice hasn't even reached puberty yet, and she's already being married to Bob.
- Alice is 12 and Bob is 80.
- A 100-year-old Bob gets married to Alice while she is still a fetus in her mother's womb. (No word on how Bob knows the fetus is a girl.)
- Downplayed: Alice is 15 and married to a 27-year-old man.
- Alice and Bob come from a time and/or place where young girls are married off as soon as they reached puberty, to older men who could provide for them (and pay a nice bride price to the girls' families).
- An Arranged Marriage is necessary in a hurry to seal The Alliance and Alice and Bob are the only ones available.
- In this setting, a high value is placed on reproduction, and average life expectancies (and reproductive lifespans) are much shorter than a modern, Western audience is used to. Thus, they have no concept of "adolescence"; a person is either a child or an adult, and considered to be an adult as soon as they reach puberty.
- Inverted: Bob is 12 and being married off to 50-year-old Alice.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Alice chooses to marry Bob, despite their age difference.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Alice is not being married off to Bob.
- Alice and Bob are both consenting adults.
- Lampshaded: "I hear Alice and Bob got married." "But she's still just a little girl!"
- Invoked: Bob comes to the home of Alice's father and offers him the customary bride price (and maybe some more) for the privilege of Alice's hand (and presumably the rest of her).
- In Alice's culture, daughters are considered commodities, and the younger and prettier they are, the more valuable. So Alice's parents marry her off to someone wealthy, who will pay them nice sums of money/livestock/land/etc. in exchange for Alice's hand.
- In a place where there's a war going on, or where there's some kind of natural disaster or plague, sexual violence towards young girls is on the increase. Since a girl who isn't a virgin at the time of marriage is considered in this society to be Defiled Forever, Alice's parents want to marry her off ASAP, with the (erroneous) idea that if she's married, she can't be (or is less likely to be) raped.
- In a society where it's assumed that All Women Are Lustful, and where virginity is particularly valued in a new bride, Alice's parents want to marry her off ASAP, so she won't act on her urges and shame the family.
- Bob wants to ensure that his wife is a virgin, and feels that the younger she is, the more likely she is to actually be one.
- Alice's parents are poor. Marrying Alice off means one less mouth for them to feed.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Can you imagine living in a place like that, where a little girl could be married off to a middle-aged man?"
- Deconstructed: This can lead to problems; Alice's reproductive system may not be ready to handle Bob's full-sized penis yet (which can lead to injury and infertility), and younger mothers have a hard time giving birth, which could result in Death by Childbirth. Not to mention, Alice may not be given a say in whom she marries (especially if this is a cultural thing).
- Reconstructed: Alice is betrothed to Bob, but they will wait until she's old enough before actually getting married or consummating the marriage. And either one of them can break off the engagement at any time.
Back to Old Man Marrying a Child