Playing With: Non-Elemental
Basic Trope: A spell or attack that's outside the Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors system.
Back to Non-Elemental.
- Straight: The "Astra" spell lacks an elemental attribute, which allows it to bypass elemental resistances.
- Exaggerated: The Astra spell is an Infinity+1 Element and everything else is weaker and vulnerable to it.
- Downplayed: Astra does less damage than other spells, but it balances out since no one thinks to put up anti-Astra defenses.
- The wizard who created the Astra spell fueled it with Pure Energy so it naturally lacks an element.
- The magical cosmology of the setting has a "grey" which is outside of the normal element, the raw magic they form from. While difficult, making spells from it is possible.
- Subverted: It turns out that Astra is actually a Star Element spell, and it can be easily blocked or used with the right spells.
- Double Subverted: There is no "Star" Element; spells with the "Star" element lack the traditional elemental energies.
- Parodied: At the Wiz-Mart there's a sale on 2% de-elemented, vitamin enriched spells.
- The non-elemental substance is something deliberately silly like cats or pudding. The spell description even states "Nobody expects you to fire a stream of <element>."
- Zig Zagged: Astra is a Non Elemental spell, except it's really the previously unknown Star Element, but it turns out stars don't have any element.
- Averted: Astra is a normal, elemental spell.
- Enforced: The executives want a card game and a non-elemental would put a twist in gameplay.
- Lampshaded: "Oh, you mean that the obviously celestial spell— the one for which we have no concept of how it works— is outside of the elemental system? No fooling."
- Invoked: Wizlord superheats his Fire spells until they transcend Fire, break the laws of magic, and become raw power.
- Exploited: Wizlord knows that Sorcerella uses the spell Astra, so he creates a seemingly useless spell that protects against "Nothing" and will block her non-elemental spells.
- Defied: Sorcerella is perfectly capable of casting Astra, but prefers to use regular elemental spells since they deal better damage and a counter-protection spell can peel most resistances off.
- Discussed: "I have got to get that Astra spell, it's like a Swiss Army knife!"
- Conversed: "So if Astra is "outside" the elemental system, does that mean there's maybe parallel elements in their own element wheel?"
Back to Non-Elemental.