: A character is ignorant of and confused by social customs, usually due to an isolated or neglected upbringing.
- Straight: Alice has below-average social skills and prefers to be alone to being with other people.
- Exaggerated: Alice acts like an animal in every way, including eating grass and walking around naked all the time.
- Downplayed: Alice has a decent grasp on most overt social nuances but is blind to subtle cues and implied meanings, taking everything at face value.
- Alice's social skills are far better than those of the average human.
- The Social Expert
- Subverted: Alice prefers to spend time alone, but when she actually talks to people, her behaviors are relatively normal.
- Double Subverted: ... Because she was in a good mood. When she is unhappy, her communication skills shoot downward.
- Parodied: Alice is the Funny Foreigner.
- Zig Zagged: A partial knowledge of social skills makes her waver between quite sociable and being completely asocial.
- Averted: Alice was raised in an isolated tower by her paranoid mother. Despite all that, she eventually comes into contact with society and has no trouble interacting with people.
- Enforced: "Everyone has said or done the wrong thing at the wrong time at least once. So why not make a character who does it all the time?"
- Lampshaded: "Alice is so rude. Was she raised by wolves?"
- Invoked: Alice considers social customs to be silly, so she chooses not to learn them.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice's parents don't want her to be out of place, so they send her to school.
- Discussed: "Alice is a bit odd, isn't she? I mean, with the never wanting anything to do with other people and odd behavior and what not. Should we ask about her home situation?"
- "Well, look here, it's another weirdo character! They're going to reveal that her parents are cavemen or something, aren't they?"
- "Everything anyone says steps on SOMEONE'S toes somewhere, whether they know it or not. I'm not going to bend over backwards trying to please everyone: I'm going to do and say what I feel like. At least then I GET something out of it.
- Deconstructed: Alice suffers neglect and ostracism, and is considered a second-class citizen due to her strangeness.
- Reconstructed: Alice suffers neglect and ostracism, and is considered a second-class citizen due to her strangeness. She then makes a unique contribution to society by bringing together everything she's learned from her experiences.
What are you doing??? Oh. You just want to get back to No Social Skills