Playing With: No Sell
Basic Trope: A character can ignore someone's powers or doesn't take any visible damage.
Back to No Sell
- Straight: Bob lands every hit he can on Emperor Evulz, but Emperor Evulz keeps going.
- Exaggerated: Bob uses almost all of his most powerful abilities to defeat Emperor Evulz. Emperor Evulz dusts himself off and laughs that Bob still didn't damage him.
- Downplayed: Emperor Evulz is hurt, but he's just very good at making it seem like he hasn't been.
- Justified: Evulz' ability is that he is incredibly resilient.
- Inverted: Bob kills Evulz simply by lightly touching him.
- Subverted: Evulz is actually knocked down by all of Bob's efforts.
- Double Subverted: ...And then Evulz gets up again.
- Parodied: Bob hits Evulz with a sledgehammer. The sledgehammer crumbles into dust.
- Zig Zagged: Evulz is immune to Bob's gun, but not his fists, but is immune to all of Bob's special powers and moves...except the Dangerous Forbidden Technique.
- The trope is not used, implied, or mentioned at all, and there may or may not be a situation where it would be possible.
- The entire series is based on posturing and bragging, so we never see Evulz' claims put to the test.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Look up the word 'invincible' in the dictionary. There's a picture of me right next to it."
- Invoked: Evilz knows that bob's powers are psychoactive, and powered by his own belief in himself. Thus, he acts like he's invincible and don't feel Bob's attacks, which in the case of Bob's powers are exactly as good as being invincible and not feeling his attacks.
- Exploited: Bob correctly guesses his attacks can't hurt Evilz, and so he uses them to blind him and impede his passage instead.
- Defied: Bob doesn't attack Evulz at all... unless he has access to Evulz's Weaksauce Weakness.
- Discussed: "Tell it to me straight, Evilz. Why the hell can't I hurt you?"
- Conversed: ???
Back to No Sell