Playing With: No Periods, Period
Basic Trope: Female characters of child-bearing age are never seen to menstruate.
Back to No Periods, Period
- Straight: Alice never menstruates.
- Exaggerated: Women don't even appear to have reproductive systems; babies just materialize without explanation.
- Alice has never been shown during menstruation.
- Sometimes Alice gets regular periods, and sometimes she goes for years without one.
- Alice lives in an Alternate Universe where human reproduction works differently.
- Alice has been taking extended-use birth control pills (or is always skipping the placebo week with regular ones), so that she doesn't have periods.
- Alice has some kind of hormonal problem (such as polycystic ovary syndrome, for example) that prevents ovulation and periods.
- Alice was assigned male at birth and, as a result, does not have a uterus.
- Double Subverted:
- The pregnancy is ectopic and she requires a hysterectomy, preventing her from ever having a period again.
- The hormones involved shouldn't be affecting her periods.
- None of the women in the setting menstruate.
- Parodied: No waste ever comes out of a woman. Not even carbon dioxide.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice gets her period once a month.
- Reproductive processes are not relevant to the plotline, and so are not dealt with in-story.
- Alice is the heavily-armoured protagonist in an action-adventure game, so removing her periods is an Acceptable Break from Reality.
- Lampshaded: "You know," said Bob to Alice, "of all the lame excuses you've used as to why you don't want to sleep with me, your period has never been one of them."
- Alice becomes an adventurer in the hope it'll make her periods stop.
- Alice has a hysterectomy, or starts taking the Pill and always skipping the placebo week so she won't have any more periods.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice pretends she's trying to get pregnant so she has an excuse to talk about her periods.
- Discussed: "If this were a movie, I'd probably be doing something productive right now instead of curling up in a little ball of cramp-induced self-pity," moaned Alice.
- Conversed: "Hey, ever notice how female characters like Alice never seem to keep a box of tampons in their inventories?"
- Plotted A Good Waste:
- Deconstructed: Alice feels like she's not a real woman because she can't menstruate, causing her to go to extreme lengths to "prove" her womanhood.
- Reconstructed: Alice lives in the future, where Applied Phlebotinum allows women to safely turn their menstrual cycles on and off at will.
- Played For Laughs: Pads and tampons exist, but nobody has any idea about what they're used for.
Back to No Periods, Period