'''Basic Trope''': A mother is a bit too controlling and has a hard time "cutting the apron strings" from their kids.
* '''Straight''': Alice dotes on her son Charlie a little too much.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice constantly calls Charlie and meddles with his everyday life to make sure he is always comfortable.
* '''Downplayed''': Alice calls Charlie at least once a week, occasionally offering to do his laundry or [[IWantGrandkids asking if he's]] ''[[IWantGrandkids still]]'' [[IWantGrandkids single]].
** Charlie is a really dependent person who needs attention and help from his parents even as he gets older.
** ''Alice'' is the one who's really dependent and needs attention. [[DarkAndTroubledPast Life wasn't kind to her]], and now Charlie, her only child (or, perhaps, her only ''son'' - she doesn't care about daughters that much), is the only person in her life she can cling to.
** Alice is a [[HandsOffParenting "hands off" parent]] who lets Charlie go completely after he leaves the house.
** Alice's son keeps bothering her [[MommasBoy because he still hasn't matured enough]].
* '''Gender Flip''':
** Alan is overly protective of Charlie.
** Charlie complains about his mother's overbearing nature to everyone in earshot; when she finally appears, it's revealed he was [[EmoTeen exaggerating wildly]] and she's a perfectly normal mother.
** The first time Charlie's friend Bob meets Alice she's asking Charlie whether he remembered to brush his teeth. Bob is briefly scandalized before Charlie lets out an exasperated, "Mom, that was ''one'' time!" and Alice laughs - turns out Alice is just teasing him and is just putting on a show to break the tension.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...Or at least, it seems that way, until she asks him if he washed behind his ears.
** Alice will come into Charlie's work place and call him constantly, cooing over him and even spies on Diane, Charlie's girlfriend, [[KnightTemplarParent to make sure that everything is fine for him]].
** Anytime Charlie is supposedly on his own, Alice can be seen following him, usually [[PaperThinDisguise wearing large sunglasses and a raincoat]] or [[NewspaperThinDisguise hiding behind a newspaper]]. Occasionally she even resorts to hiding in garbage cans to keep an eye on him.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice is a beloved smother, but realizes she needs to give her son some space. But when Charlie manages to make a mess she's overbearing again and the cycle repeats, ''ad nauseam''...
** Alice gives Charlie enough breathing space to be comfortable but still cares about him.
* '''Enforced''': The writer has encountered one of these species (which is, sadly or gladly, very much TruthInTelevision) and wants to show the problems that will ensue if the mother doesn't back down one day.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Isn't she a bit ''too'' watchful over her son?"
* '''Invoked''': Charlie is TheChosenOne or is otherwise prophecised to have some kind of significant destiny; Alice smothers in in order to ensure that his destiny either [[BecauseDestinySaysSo comes to pass]] or [[ScrewDestiny is avoided]].
* '''Exploited''': Bob gets Charlie to do something by talking Alice into telling him to do it.
** Alice's own mother smothered her, so she decides to focus on making her child comfortable, [[IAmNotMyMother but not overbearing]].
** Demetra, Alice's old friend, after seeing everything in her family finally gives her an AntiSmotherLoveTalk, which prompts Alice to loose her grip over Charlie,
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': "She better learn to cut those apron strings soon enough..."
* '''Implied''': Charlie leaves the room in a big hurry because [[DeusExScuseMe his mom is calling him]].
** Alice is so overbearing she drives away Charlie's LoveInterest and friends. Charlie is too smothered by Alice's behavior and he [[CallingTheOldWomanOut calls her out on it]], [[YoureNotMyMother and it tears their relationship apart]].
** Alternately: Alice forgets about her own life because she worries about Charlie's before her own, and Charlie is an UngratefulBastard.
** Alice comes to realize that she needs to give Charlie his own space to grow and develop; she lightens up and backs off a bit, becoming less overbearing and allowing Charlie to mend his friendships and romances. She remains quick to interfere, however.
** After Alice dies, [[IMissMom Charlie realizes how ungrateful he's been]] and dedicates his life to his own son.
And don't be late back to [[MyBelovedSmother the main page]]! Mommy'll be missin' ya so much, and it's gonna be cold in the evening...
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???