: A character is mistaken for or accused of being a terrorist.
- Straight: Karim is of Muslim faith and is accused by Bob for being a terrorist.
- Exaggerated: Ryan accuses Karim of being radicalized at a Wahhabbi Madrassa in Yemen in 1984 and then traveling to Afghanistan in in 1986 to fight the Soviets up until their eventual withdrawal in 1989 and then living in Pakistan while establishing further contacts before traveling to Bosnia in 1993 to fight the Serbs while learning advanced bomb tactics prior to leaving for Sudan in 1995 to join Al Qaeda and being ordered by Bin Laden to infiltrate the United States and sneak a dirty bomb into an airport. Karim replies with a Flat "What.".
- Karim is racially profiled at the airport and gets questioned by law enforcement on a routine basis because he happens share the same name with a suspect.
- Bob is a Gentile flying to Israel on El Al, and thus subject to a pre-flight interview before boarding.
- Karim has relatives with strong connections to various terrorist networks.
- Or, some of Ryan's family was killed in 9/11, and he wrongly blames it on Middle Easterners. (or similar).
- Inverted: Karim accuses Ryan of being a terrorist.
- Subverted: Ryan mistakes Karim for a terrorist. Karim just smiles and detonates his suicide vest.
- Double Subverted: Ryan was just tripping out.
- Parodied: While Ryan is shaking down the harmless Karim, several actual terrorists walk by and loudly talk about how they're going to hijack the plane.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: No one mistakes Karim for a terrorist.
- Enforced: The writers wanted to do a Very Special Episode, and chose to deal with this subject.
- Lampshaded: "Oh great, not again. Listen guys, just because I'm from the Middle East doesn't mean I'm out to kill you. Get it through your heads!"
- Invoked: Karim decided to have a little fun by making people believe that he's a terrorist, while he's not.
- Exploited: Karim takes advantage of this trope by making Ryan do whatever he wants, claiming that he's a real terrorist sent to assassinate Ryan and his friends.
- Defied: Despite Ryan's suspicion, he decides to shake it off and doesn't judge Karim by his looks.
- Discussed: "Look at that Arabian guy over there, with the big suitcase. He is so gonna be in a lot of trouble."
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Everyone avoids/hate Karim because they think he's a terrorist.
- Reconstructed: Until Alice makes friends with him, and the others realize that they've misunderstood him and apologizes.
Back to Mistaken for Terrorist