: There is a significant age difference between the partners in a romantic couple.
- Straight: Alice and Bob are lovers. Alice is 21, Bob is 60.
- Exaggerated: Bob is 18, Alice is 81.
- Downplayed: No one seems to think the relationship is that unusual. Alice's 30, Bob's 50.
- Inverted: Alice and Bob are as close to the same age as possible. (Twincest may apply, as that's as close as it gets in most cases)
- Subverted: Alice is actually 43, but through some means, looks a lot younger than she really is.
- Double Subverted: Then it turns out Bob is also much older than he looks like.
- Parodied: The bride hasn't even hit puberty yet, and the groom is Older Than Dirt.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: No one in the story dates outside their own age category.
- Enforced: "Our male lead, Bob Oldguy, is a box-office hit even in his fifties, but we need a younger actress for the female lead to sell the merchandise. How about Alice Ingenue?"
- Lampshaded: "Isn't she a bit young for you?"
- Invoked: Fiftyish Bob takes classes at the local college in hopes of scoring with sorority girls by flaunting his superior breadwinning skills.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob decides not to go out with the much younger Alice after all; it's more sensible to stick with women of his own maturity level.
- "What you want to do, Alice, is look for an older man. The young ones haven't matured enough to be interesting for more than sex."
- "What you want to do, Bob, is look for an older girl. The girls your own age are too immature, and only want to date jocks and bad boys."
- Conversed: "I hope I can still get the young women when I'm Bob Oldguy's age. Did you see the girl they matched him with in his latest film?"
- Deconstructed: The generational differences between Alice and Bob cause strain in their relationship, and they eventually break up to seek partners closer to their own ages.
- But Ted and Carol, despite their age difference, find enough in common that their love can survive misunderstandings, and form a stronger bond because of it.
- The only significant difference is their age. For example, the May is noted to be more emotionally mature than her peers, or the December is a Cool Old Person.
Back to May-December Romance
, you crazy kids and/or senior citizens, you.