Playing With: Mauve Shirt
: A character expected to become Cannon Fodder
is given enough significance that they're somewhat safer.
- Straight: Bob, one of the security staff in Space Trek gets enough lines that while not nearly as important as other characters, he's usually a lot safer than most of comparable rank.
- Exaggerated: Bob becomes elevated to main character status and given Plot Armor.
- Downplayed: ???
- Subverted: Bob is given screen time and even a few lines, but killed off anyway.
- Double Subverted: But his passing is mourned intensely by other characters and fans alike.
- Parodied: Just before the battle, Bob changes the color of his shirt. While others are killed off, he's OK.
- Zig Zagged: Some Red Shirt types are killed off, others are treated better.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Bob works his way up through the ranks.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Anyone Can Die
- Discussed: "Wow, ordinarily, he'd be toast!"
- Conversed: "He must be important."
- Deconstructed: A general becomes paralyzed with fear and regret because he makes emotional connections with his Red Shirts and they inevitably die. As a result, he loses several battles key to winning the war.
- Reconstructed: The general comes back and turns the war around, using his fear of losing his Red Shirts as an impetus to improve his battle strategy to keep as many of them alive as possible.
- Played For Laughs: Bob is The Scrappy.
Back to Mauve Shirt