: A Real Man (tm) is one who knows how to hunt.
- Straight: Bob and Dave go out hunting. The wimpy Bob is unable to kill a single animal while the manly Dave kills several.
- Exaggerated: Bob shoots his gun once and passes out due to fear of the loud noise, while Dave brings home enough meat to feed a small village.
- Downplayed: Dave goes hunting once in a while, but that is not the most important of the manly skills he boasts of.
- A Real Man Is a Killer
- Many cultures use the first hunt as a rite of passage.
- Bob's society has a taboo against meat from a slaughterhouse. All meat, or alternately all meat served on ritual occasions, must have been given a fair chance of escape, to be eaten.
- The seemingly-wimpy Bob turns out to really know his way around a hunting rifle, while the uber-manly Dave is hopelessly lost in the woods.
- Action Girl Marcy is rather proficient at hunting while the feminine Melody is useless.
- Feminine Women Can Cook
- Subverted: Bob and Dave go out hunting, and Dave seems more successful than Bob, until a wild animal appears and Bob's the one who saves them from it.
- Double Subverted: But that was a one-time thing - most of the time, Dave does the rescuing.
- Parodied: Dave has literally no other skills than hunting, and is completely incapable of coping with any other situation, invariably turning everything (Camping trips, road trips, ballet recitals) into some bizarre form of hunting trip.
- Zig Zagged: Bob and Dave are out hunting, and a wolf leaps out and attacks Bob, only to be nailed with a tomahawk by Dave. Then a bear is brought out by the commotion and attacks Dave, and Dave and Bob are both rescued by Alice. Everyone involved is screaming like a preteen girls through the whole thing.
- Averted: Both men are fairly adept at hunting.
- Enforced: "Listen, people. We need an easy way to show the hero's manly. How about hunting?"
- Lampshaded: "Well, on one side you've got Dave, who's a man's man; on the other, you've got the wimpy Bob. Hmm...who'll kill more animals?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Dave arranges the hunting trip to dissuade the other part of the Love Triangle from being interested in Bob.
- Defied: Dave is manly, but has a deep respect for life and refuses to kill animals just to contribute to his image.
- Discussed: "So Dave, what beast do you intend to bring home today?" "Well, I'm a man, so, Yes."
- Conversed: ???
Back to Manly Men Can Hunt