- Straight: Mary is an angel that has come to earth to fight evil. She meets the lonely Bob and they strike up a burgeoning romance while he helps her kick ass and save the universe.
- Exaggerated: Mary is actually the goddess of the realm, but finds herself strangely attracted to Bob's quaint mortal charm.
- Justified: Despite being a Butt-Monkey, Bob is really a Nice Guy. Being an angel, Mary values his kind heart.
- Mary befriends Bob and uses a relationship with him as a cover for her existence on earth, but doesn't care about him.
- Mary turns out to be just a stage magician who wears an angel costume for her act. Bonus points if Mary's a guy in disguise.
- Double Subverted:
- ...Until she really does fall in love with him.
- Until Mary's grandmother reveals that she does, in fact, have angelic ancestry and activates her potential as "an engagement present."
- Parodied: Mary and Bob love one another, but their mutual misunderstanding always ends up causing wacky hijinks and physical violence.
- Zig Zagged: Mary falls from the sky and Bob is convinced she's an angel sent to him to help him deal with how little of a life he has. He takes her into his apartment and nurses her back to health; by the time she's better, it's become clear she is in fact no angel. However, by this time, they've grown on each other and so much wacky stuff has happened that they decide to stick with the facade - and one wacky adventure does turn Mary into an angel. But the thing is that angels lose their powers if they fall in love...which turns them into cupids and Mary's new duties cast a fresh light on their relationship.
- Averted: Angels either don't exist or stay in heaven where they belong. Bob gets over his fantasy of the perfect girl and meets somebody nice.
- Enforced: When all you have is a geeky 12-24 year old male audience....
- Lampshaded: "Mary's wonderful girl but there's something odd about her....Wait, is that a halo!?"
- "I wish I could meet the perfect girl!" * POOF*
- When a demon attacks Mary in her human disguise, Bob tries to help her despite his visible fear of the demon, and gets injured in the process. So Mary looks after him for a while.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Mary likes Bob, but due to her angelic vows she can never be with him. She eventually leaves so he can get on with his life.
Friend 1: "Mary and Bob are a couple?!"
- Their friends constantly gossip about the irregularities of their relationship.
Friend 2: "How would they even... you know...?"
- "So is this the part where we fall in love?" *SMITE*
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob doggedly pursues a relationship with Mary who finally agrees. The strain of their vast differences and the constant danger of Mary's quest takes its toll and they finally break up.
- Reconstructed: ...Until they both learn to accept one another and work together, just in time to save the day.
Back to Magical Girlfriend