: Two halves of a couple live far away from one another.
- Straight: Alice and Bob are a couple, but Alice lives in Massachusetts and Bob lives in California.
- Exaggerated: Alice lives in Massachusetts, and Bob lives on the moon.
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob live an hour apart by car, and communicate by email and phone between visits.
- Inverted: Alice and Bob live in the same town or city.
- Double Subverted:
- But then it turns out that Alice is a foreign exchange student from England and has to go back there at the end of the semester. And Bob doesn't want to break up simply because of that.
- But then decide later that they can make it work and close the relationship, or simply end up not seeing other people anyway.
- But they live about an hour or two away.
- They really miss and/or want to see each other in-person, though.
- Parodied: Alice and Bob live in completely different universes!
- Zig Zagged: Either Alice or Bob is constantly moving, and thus moves either significantly closer or further away from their partner.
- Enforced: "Hmm...let's see. Last season, Alice was Put on a Bus, but we want her to get together with Bob without too much Continuity Snarl...I know! We'll make them have a Long Distance Relationship!"
- Lampshaded: "My girlfriend lives in Boston, so I only get to see her a couple times a year...thank God for the Internet!"
- Invoked: Alice meets Bob through an online forum.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice and Bob decide that warm, fuzzy feelings to the contrary, an LDR is just too stressful and inconvenient. They decide to be Just Friends.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: The long distance can put strain on the relationship: there's UST and the fact that the other person is missed but not there, and it can lead to cheating...or jealousy and suspicion of cheating.
- Reconstructed: Alice and Bob agree to spend time talking to one another and invest in webcams, and they make the most of the time they do get to spend together in person. They also agree to be faithful to one another and stick to that.
- Played For Laughs: Bob comes over... And turns out to be a Starfish Alien
- Played For Drama: Alice and Bob miss each other so much, and get jealous...the relationship becomes an emotional rollercoaster. Can they overcome their problems? Or will they end up breaking up?
Back to Long Distance Relationship