Playing With: Lightning Bruiser
: A character who is fast, strong, and resilient.
- Straight: General Drake can run faster than the heroes, hurts them badly after a few hits, and seems to shrug off most of their attacks.
- Exaggerated: Drake possesses inhuman attributes. He runs like a cheetah, hits with the force of a runaway freight train, and shrugs off direct hits from missiles.
- Justified: Drake exercises by lifting weights and going jogging.
- Inverted: Drake is slow and can neither dish it out nor take it.
- Drake may be fast and strong, but he can't take a hit: heís a Glass Cannon.
- Drake is strong, fast, and tough... but he's got no stamina. Anyone who survives until he wears himself out will easily be able to turn the tables.
- Double Subverted: However, while his constitution is poor, he makes use of armor, a Healing Factor, and/or painkillers to negate this weakness.
- Parodied: Emperor Evulz plays catch with Drake by throwing a football as far as he can, then watching as his second-in-command catches and returns it within seconds.
- Zig Zagged: Being a comic book character in the Silver Age, Drake's power and his position as a Lightning Bruiser tends to vary with the writer.
- Averted: No one who contains a stellar, as opposed to average, mix of all these traits appears in the story.
- Enforced: "The heroes need to use their brains to defeat their enemies every once in a while. So let's give them an opponent who is too strong, too fast and too tough to physically defeat".
- Lampshaded: "This guy's faster, stronger and tougher than any of us!"
- Invoked: Drake trains until his power matches his speed.
- Exploited: Gordon tricks Drake into charging at him and dodges. Since Drake is both Too Fast to Stop and too strong to be stopped, there's nothing he can do to avoid smashing through the barriers protecting him from the spikes behind it.
- Defied: Drake, who is a Jack of All Stats, stumbles upon a Super Soldier serum which could exponentially increase his physical abilities. However, drinking the serum carries the risk of being stupid. Drake, not wanting to be a Dumb Muscle, chooses not drink the serum and walks away.
- Discussed: "We can't beat Drake in a fight. So we'll have to beat him using our brains".
- Conversed: "Well, so much for competitive balance."
- Deconstructed: Drake's extraordinary speed and strength makes him cocky in battle, leading him to underestimate the Weak, but Skilled heroes. His arrogant and gullible nature allows him to be easily tricked and ambushed, and it leads to his sound defeat.
- Reconstructed: Drake's raw power compensates for his lack of tactics. This, combined with the fearsome reputation he has gained over the years due to his impressive physical capabilities, make him a terrifying and deadly opponent.
- Played For Laughs: "We canít outrun him!" "Thatís fine, I only have to outrun you!"
Back to Lightning Bruiser