: For whatever reason, the feelings of others don't affect a character.
- Bob sees Alice crying after the death of her father and wonders why she's crying.
- Bob injures Alice without any guilt about it.
- Alice is crying because all of her close family members have died and she's dying of cancer. Bob doesn't understand why she's sad.
- Bob tortures and kills Alice and her entire family. His only regret is not forcing Alice's daughter, the 6-year-old Charlotte, to watch her dog being slaughtered.
- Downplayed: Bob sees Alice crying because her old car is broken. He doesn't understand what the car meant to her.
- Bob is an Empty Shell that can't even feel emotions, making it impossible for him to feel others.
- Bob did something wrong to Alice, but he despises her so much he feels nothing but hate towards her.
- Bob is just a natural-born loner who doesn't have any social skills and only cares about achieving his own goals.
- Bob is ignorant of what and how some things hurt others' feelings badly.
- Bob has a disorder of some kind.
- Inverted: The Empath
- Bob appears to not care, but it turns out he's just holding all his emotions in.
- Bob is usually an emotionless bastard, but then he finally breaks down and cries when he loses his pet.
- Bob can't empathize with people on the emotional level but he can empathize with people on the logical level.
- Double Subverted:
- People think Bob is just holding it in, but he's not.
- And only so he can manipulate people into doing his biding.
- Parodied: Bob goes to a movie that makes everyone cries, and he then says it sucks.
- Zig Zagged: Bob constantly changes from being a Manly Tears kind of guy, to an uncaring shell.
- Averted: Bob can feel and understand the emotions of others.
- Enforced: "We need a villain that can do the worse things possible, with no regret or mercy."
- Lampshaded: "You don't seem to care about anyone."
- Invoked: Emperor Evulz performs a lobotomy on Bob to take away his ability to feel emotions.
- Exploited: Bob can't feel anything at all, so Evulz recruits him as an assassin who will kill with no regrets.
- Defied: Even if Bob doesn't feel any empathy, he still does his best to sooth Alice's feelings.
- Discussed: "Bob, do you even care about anything?" "What's caring?"
- Conversed: "Is Bob an alien with no understanding of emotions?"
Back to Lack of Empathy
...but I could care less whether you visit it or not.