Playing With: Knight Templar
: A villain (or a brutal Anti-Hero
) who is convinced that they are the hero.
- Straight: Alice, the Big Bad, thinks that she is The Hero, eliminating crime by killing any criminals regardless of whether or not they were justified
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Alice slaughters people for disobeying the slightest rules - going to bed too late, eating too much candy, etc. Expect a Mattress Tag Gag.
- Zig Zagged: Alice's enemies were making up the fact that she was a Knight Templar. But they weren't, and they were in the wrong. Or were they?
- Alice does not think that she is in the right, but is apathetic.
- Alice is a genuinely good person.
- Enforced: "Hmm...we need another madman - one that is different from the other psycopaths. How about we make Alice a self-righteous twit?"
- "Evil will only beget evil. Therefore, I must extinguish it...all of it".
- "You wanna see evil, witch hunter? Look in the damn mirror."
- Invoked: Alice fears that she may become one of these in time, and has a strict personal code of behavior, or a pact with another to take her down should she go too far, while still being relentless in her pursuit of evil.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice, though obsessed with justice, refuses to stoop to such means as murder to get her point across.
- Discussed: "Ever since Alice came around, crime's way down!" "Yeah, but lethal stabbings are up 500%!"
- Conversed: "There is nothing more dangerous than a person who thinks that they are doing the right thing whilst slaughtering villages. Now, they are the madmen".
- Despite the brutal ways Alice uses to "clean house", it becomes clear that Alice's ways starts to get some results. The crime ratings drops down in record speed, either because the criminals are dead or are afraid that Alice will get them next and so stops being one while they still have the chance. The "heroes" find out that they can't fight Alice, since her campaigns had earned her the people's overwhelming support.
Or the opposite happens, and crime skyrockets, because the people believe that "they might as well be hanged for sheep as a lamb". They're going to be arrested/executed anyway, no matter what they did, so they might as well really do something worth getting arrested for. Alice tries to bring down the justice, but eventually ends up killing everybody. One of her personal guard then asks...And Then What?? Alice doesn't quite know what to do. Depending on her sanity, she may just try killing her guards for their (completely imaginary) "crimes", or she may go through a Villainous Breakdown.
- Alice's parents raised her up hoping to instill a strict sense of justice. However, she ended up growing up arrogant and unable to see her own flaws while judging others based on their flaws
- Reconstructed: ...But later, when confronted by her own flaws (perhaps in a dramatic "Shut up Hannibal!" speech from the hero), she sees them in herself and acknowledges that she must also die...once she's finished with every other evil person in the world.
Back to the Knight Templar
page to be PURIFIED!