Katanas are given a superior treatment to other swords.
- Straight: Alice's katana is hailed as the best sword around.
- Exaggerated: Alice's katana is capable of halving a bronze statue, something she cannot seem to do with any other sword.
- Downplayed: Alice's katana is admired for its craftsmanship, but is treated equivalent to other swords in practical use.
- Alice's katana was made by a supremely talented smith using the finest materials available.
- Alice uses a katana because she was trained to become a samurai.
- Inverted: Alice's katana is unable to cut through the same things Bob's claymore and Charlie's saber can.
- Subverted: Alice's looks like she was beating claymore-wielding Bob, but he was just holding back. After that the fight is more even.
- Double Subverted: But Alice was holding back too.
- Parodied: Alice likes to file her nails with a katana and cook with one too.
- Zig Zagged:
- Alice is a katana collector, and her pieces vary wildly in quality and cutting power.
- Alice's katana is imbued with a magical spirit that can make the weapon supernaturally powerful... when the spirit is properly placated.
- Averted: Alice's katana is treated as just another sword.
- Enforced: "But claymores and sabers are boring, and everyone knows that the Japanese make better weapons."
- Lampshaded: "Alice has become a lot more badass ever since she picked up her katana."
- Invoked: "I've been thinking about picking up a new sword, probably a katana. I hear they can cut through tanks."
- Exploited: Everyone knows katanas are able to slice and dice through armies of mooks, and Alice uses this knowledge to frighten off said mooks and avoid needing to fight at all.
- Defied: Alice decides to get a scimitar or kris instead.
- Discussed: "Katanas Are Just Better, okay? They can cut anything!"
- Conversed: "I wish I had a katana like the one Alice has."
- Deconstructed: Alice spends a hefty amount of money on a katana, fully expecting it to be better than Bob's claymore and Charlie's saber, but is dismayed when she finds out that their much cheaper swords are just as capable of doing any job her katana can do.
- Reconstructed: Alice bought a replica under the impression it was a genuine katana. Once she gets her hands on a real one, it turns out to be the superior sword after all.
- Played For Laughs: Upon seeing Alice has a katana, the Dangerously Genre Savvy General Leopold immediately orders his claymore-wielding troops to retreat, and commissions a group of smiths to arm said troops with more katanas.
Back to Katanas Are Just Better