Playing With: Kaleidoscope Hair
Basic Trope: A character's hair color changes frequently.
Back to Kaleidoscope Hair
- Straight: Alice's hair changes color often.
- Alice's hair never stops changing color, going to something new every few seconds.
- Alice's hair changes between neon colors and patterns.
- Every few weeks or months, Alice's hair changes color.
- Alice's hair changes color regularly, but the difference is almost unnoticeable.
- Inverted: Everyone in Alice's world has ever-changing hair color, but Alice's remains constant.
- Alice isn't changing her actual hair color, she is swapping a collection of wigs around.
- Alice is actually changing which of her many bodies she is using; they are all identical, apart from hair color.
- Double Subverted:
- Alice has undyed hair beneath the wigs, except there's only one wig after all, which she was dying; her scalp is too sensitive to use such chemicals.
- Alice frequently swaps which body she uses, but they do all have the same hair color; in each body, she has to dye her hair to a different hue to make it seem like her hair is changing colors when she switches body.
- Parodied: Alice's hair does change colors...But they're all invisible to the naked eye, requiring a spectrometer to truly appreciate.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Alice has lasting hair color.
- Enforced: The person illustrating the story keeps running out of paints and isn't good at getting the same hue twice, so Alice's hair changes color.
- Lampshaded: Alice notices her hair color changing a lot and wonders why it happens.
- Invoked: Bob sends Alice many shades of hair dye because he doesn't like her current brown hair.
- Exploited: Bob notices that Alice's hair changes color depending on her mood, and uses this to understand and talk to her better.
- Defied: Alice doesn't want her hair to change color, and gets a wig and permanent dye to prevent it.
- Discussed: Bob and Charlie talk about how Alice just got many shades of hair dye and will probably begin dying it a lot soon.
- Conversed: "In a cheap story like this, a way to make a character more interesting is to give them randomly changing hair colors."
- Alice's unpredictable hair color means she can't get a job because her employer thinks she's immature.
- Alice is only recognized by her hair, so when it changes nobody knows who she is.
- Alice finds an employer who doesn't care about her quirky hair.
- People learn to tell who Alice is by other features that don't change.
- Played For Laughs: Alice's hair changes color at the most inappropriate times, with a loud bang.
- Played For Drama: Alice is desperate to find a way to stop her hair changing color because she feels it is ruining her life.
Back to Kaleidoscope Hair