Playing With: Jumping the Shark
: The quality of a series drops after a significant event.
- Straight: The show is no longer as interesting now that Alice and Bob are now in love.
- Downplayed: The show is still good after Alice and Bob fall in love, just not as good.
- Justified: The show was built on a short-term premise and became a Franchise Zombie when it was extended.
- Inverted: Growing the Beard.
- Despite what looks to be a series-breaking change of events, the series continues to produce quality episodes
- Seasonal Rot
- Double Subverted:
- ...But compared to the episodes that came before the event, the overall quality of the series still dropped.
- The crummy season turned a lot of viewers off from the series
Alice: "This show has gotten worse since I had left."
Bob: "No, it's just-"
Announcer: "Next week, Bob jumps his motorcycle over a tank of sharks! Will he make it?"
Bob: "Alright, you may have a point."
- Zig Zagged: The episode quality varies widely after a large event.
- "They ended the Love Triangle? Well, it's only downhill from here, folks."
- A literal shark is jumped.
- Invoked: A Medium Aware character is sick of the show and tries to sabotage it.
- Exploited: ???
- Discussed: "You ever get the feeling that our lives were more exciting before we beat Emperor Evulz?
- Conversed: "I stopped watching Happy Days after Fonzie Jumped the Shark."
- Deconstructed: A behind-the-scenes documentary reveals the writers' room conflicts and Executive Meddling that made the shark jump happen.
- Reconstructed: A behind-the-scenes documentary reveals the writers' room conflicts and Executive Meddling that made the shark jump happen — and caused a Writer Revolt. Fans end up supporting the writers by taking Guilty Pleasure in watching the ruined show.
Back to Jumping the Shark