: The deity or deities are portrayed as cruel.
- Straight: The gods are seen as petty, abusive, and uncaring to mortal beings and play around with their lives like as though it's their cosmic toys.
- The gods are seen as sadistic and monstrous to mortal beings and will always used to disproportionately punishing them.
- The gods are not only jerks to mortals, but also to each other.
- Gods Of Evil.
- Downplayed: The gods are aloof and apathetic to mortal beings which can make them come across as jerks.
- Justified: As higher beings they have no reason to sympathize with puny mortals.
- Inverted: The gods are good.
- Subverted: The gods turn out to have a soft spot for the mortals deep down inside.
- Double Subverted: ...just before they all treat them more cruel than they could possibly imagine.
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: It appears that the gods can vary between cruel and kind whether they were having a bad day or when they're nice when they feel like it.
- Averted: The gods are neither cruel or kind.
- Enforced: The author is a cynic who believes that any being of a higher place than others will either be indifferent or downright hostile to lower beings.
- Lampshaded: "I hate the gods. They're massive jerks."
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Someone uses the jerkass nature of the gods to gain political power to create a secular state that tells the gods to sod off.
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: The jerkass nature of gods makes mortals constantly cower in fear and servitude of them.
- Reconstructed: Mortals build themselves up in response and surpass the gods.
Back to Jerkass Gods