Playing With: Iron Butt Monkey
Basic Trope: A Butt Monkey immune to harm.
Back to Iron Butt Monkey
- Straight: Bob gets electrocuted, but he is unharmed.
- Exaggerated: Bob then gets hit by a nuke and doesn't feel anything.
- Downplayed: Bob is trampled by a Thundering Herd, but doesn't get as much as a broken bone.
- Looks unharmed, but is really good at hiding pain
- An easy to kill character is always lucky and always avoids anything that could harm him.
- Subverted: After looking fine from being electrocuted, he falls over dead.
- Double Subverted: But is mysteriously revived in the next episode.
- Bob is actually moonlighting as a stunt double, as practice to become a real actor (it turns out he can quote Shakespeare while dodging pianos).
- Bob has a detailed record of how many horrible accidents he has had in his life.
- Bob never cares about his life because he never gets harmed anyways.
- Zig Zagged: Bob seems at first to do this all the time. But actually, it depends on his mood. If he's in a crummy one, just touching him wrong will knock him out cold. The rules are inconsistent about this though.
- Averted: Bob is not immune to harm.
- Enforced: The show is a Sadist Show.
- Lampshaded: "Bob, it seems like you get up from just about anything."
- Invoked: Bob thinks he'd be able to bounce back, so he insists on entering the trapped room first to disarm things, then...
- It works, and he comes back more or less intact, to fetch his friends.
- Alice stands slightly behind and to the side of Bob at all times, to ensure anything painful hits him first and leaves her alone.
- Defied: It seems like Bob is going to yet again have something horrendous happen to him, but instead, it's a romance scene.
- Discussed: "Normally, guys named Bob are subject to getting back on their feet after stuff like that, but you couldn't, could you Bob?"
- Conversed: "I've always seen these shows where this happens to people, and they get back up."
- If Bob is a child, people will wonder how he gets such frequent injuries, and due to the existence of Abusive Parents, they may jump to the wrong conclusions.
- Bob's frequent maimings may not do any permanent damage to him, but they still hurt. A lot.
- Perhaps Bob is immune to every form of attack, except for one Weaksauce Weakness.
- Koichi gets into all sorts of Amusing Injuries while chasing after Arsene III. Arsene got freaked out by Koichi's sheer determination and...handed himself in just to preserve his own sanity. Koichi got promoted to the head of ICPO, with subordinates under him who are insanely loyal and devoted to their jobs.
- Played For Laughs: Bob is continuously subjected to a series of Amusing Injuries, all without taking harm or complaining.
- Played For Drama: Iron Woobie
- Untwisted: The audience expects Bob to not survive, because it's a realistic style movie. But for some reason, it's played this way without explanation.
Back to Iron Butt Monkey