Playing With: Iron Butt Monkey
Basic Trope: A Butt Monkey immune to harm.
Back to Iron Butt Monkey
- Straight: Bob gets electrocuted, but he is unharmed.
- Exaggerated: Bob then gets hit by a nuke and doesn't feel anything.
- Downplayed: Bob is trampled by a Thundering Herd, but doesn't get as much as a broken bone.
- Looks unharmed, but is really good at hiding pain
- An easy to kill character is always lucky and always avoids anything that could harm him.
- Subverted: After looking fine from being electrocuted, he falls over dead.
- Double Subverted: But is mysteriously revived in the next episode.
- Bob is actually moonlighting as a stunt double, as practice to become a real actor (it turns out he can quote Shakespeare while dodging pianos).
- Bob has a detailed record of how many horrible accidents he has had in his life.
- Bob never cares about his life because he never gets harmed anyways.
- Zig Zagged: Bob seems at first to do this all the time. But actually, it depends on his mood. If he's in a crummy one, just touching him wrong will knock him out cold. The rules are inconsistent about this though.
- Averted: Bob is not immune to harm.
- Enforced: The show is a Sadist Show.
- Lampshaded: "Bob, it seems like you get up from just about anything."
- Invoked: Bob thinks he'd be able to bounce back, so he insists on entering the trapped room first to disarm things, then...
- It works, and he comes back more or less intact, to fetch his friends.
- Alice stands slightly behind and to the side of Bob at all times, to ensure anything painful hits him first and leaves her alone.
- Defied: It seems like Bob is going to yet again have something horrendous happen to him, but instead, it's a romance scene.
- Discussed: "Normally, guys named Bob are subject to getting back on their feet after stuff like that, but you couldn't, could you Bob?"
- Conversed: "I've always seen these shows where this happens to people, and they get back up."
- If Bob is a child, people will wonder how he gets such frequent injuries, and due to the existence of Abusive Parents, they may jump to the wrong conclusions.
- Bob's frequent maimings may not do any permanent damage to him, but they still hurt. A lot.
- Played For Laughs: Bob is continuously subjected to a series of Amusing Injuries, all without taking harm or complaining.
- Played For Drama: Iron Woobie
- Untwisted: The audience expects Bob to not survive, because it's a realistic style movie. But for some reason, it's played this way without explanation.
Back to Iron Butt Monkey