Playing With: Internet Backdraft
Basic Trope: Discussing a certain topic online is an instant Berserk Button to the online community.
Back to Internet Backdraft
- Straight: Someone brings up a topic only to be met with a tirade of angry comments.
- Someone mentions a topic which not only started lengthy arguments, but also led the OP to be immediately banned from the internet forums.
- Someone mentions a topic and this has made him the most hated user on the internet.
- Someone mentions a topic and everyone posts hateful comments to the OP and to each other.
- The topic is so heated that it only lasts up to 100 pages of angry posts.
- Downplayed: Someone mentions a certain topic; they give him a slight rebuke for mentioning it in their boards.
- The online community sees the topic as offensive and inappropriate.
- The online community is just full of rude, hot-headed, and unpleasable assholes.
- Inverted: An online community is full of rude, abrasive, and unfriendly users, but they're feeling in a good mood after a new user brings up a topic which everyone is happy to talk about.
- Subverted: An angry internet response turns into "I was just messing with you, dude!"
- Double Subverted: "...but seriously, GTFO and never come back, u noob!"
- Someone brings up a topic which causes the user's computer to be destroyed.
- Someone brings up a topic which causes the internet to be completely shut down.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Someone doesn't get heat for the topic they are talking about.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Now that's a lot of hateful comments all because of one topic."
- Invoked: The user happens to be a troll who delights in stirring up conflict on the internet.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: The administrators make a list of topics that new users shouldn't talk about to make sure the forums is a safe and friendly place.
- Discussed: "That's the internet for you. Full of users who haven't went to anger management classes because they don't like one mere topic."
- Conversed: ???
- Most people were so angry at the person mentioning the topic that this affects their repressed anger issues and causes them to make horrible mistakes in their personal lives.
- People are angry for talking about topics that shouldn't be discussed, although it was seemingly okay for them to talk about said topics and never get called out on it.
- Played For Drama: The person on the receiving end of the backlash was the WRONG PERSON to call out. Personal information is leaked, identities are stolen, and the forum/website finds itself inoperable due to a vindictive onslaught of DOS attacks and viruses virtue of a member of Anonymous in a bad mood.
Back to Internet Backdraft