: An obstacle that's easy to cross or move in Real Life
is impossible to cross or move in a video game.
- Straight: Bob, the player character in Trope Quest, can't break open a locked door or jump over a fallen tree even though he can easily slay armored thugs and hike over mountains.
- Bob's powers are at borderline Physical God levels, but he can't go over a one-way shallow ramp if he's already crossed it.
- Bob can't walk across to the next town, because the grass is uneven.
- Downplayed: Bob can cross such fences when he needs to, but otherwise he refuses to as to not cause mass property damage.
- Bob's powers only activate when fighting Emperor Evulz's henchmen, so they don't activate when he's exploring.
- Bob is in a wheelchair, making him unable to get pass anything that requires climbing. However, he's trained to fight nonetheless.
- Bob's first party member notes that the tree isn't too wide to climb and even actively shows her doing it. Bob tries it from the goading of his party member, and the weight bob carries instantly crushes the tree when he tries to stand on, and both agree that it's for the best to not leave crushed obstacles everywhere.
- Subverted: At first, it appears that Bob can't go through locked doors, but once he gets the battering ram weapon, he can destroy any and all doors in his path.
- Double Subverted: Cue tree stumps, traffic cones, shallow rivers, etc., blocking his way.
- Bob can't even walk over a pebble.
- One of the villains' attacks is to drop a bunch of random garbage around to prevent people from chasing him.
- Zig Zagged: A few obstacles are no problem for Bob to get past, but others he can't seem to cross whatsoever.
- Averted: Bob can get by anything that would be easy to cross or move in real life.
- Enforced: The game designers need some way to keep Bob from going where he's not supposed to.
- Lampshaded: "What do you mean you can't get over the fence, Bob? It's only, what, waist high?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: One of the bad guys puts a fence around Bob while he's sleeping, knowing that he can't possibly get past it.
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob's inability to move over everyday objects that are in his path cripples his heroic efforts.
- Reconstructed: Bob gets many superpowers to compensate for his inability.
We just have to get over this Insurmountable Waist-Height Fence
to get back to... uh oh.