Playing With: If It Tastes Bad, It Must Be Good for You
Healthy food tastes absolutely terrible.
- Straight: Alice eats a vegetable and nearly retches.
- Exaggerated: Alice smells a whiff of vegetables - cue Vomit Indiscretion Shot.
- Downplayed: Alice eats a vegetable and doesn't like it much, but can tolerate it for the most part.
- The body likes the taste of what it's accustomed to. Alice eats fast food on a daily basis - and health food only at gunpoint.
- Alice's mother used to have two specialties - dry chicken with vegetables boiled grey and bitter, and banoffee pie. Alice learned that healthy stuff tastes awful, and swore off it for life.
- Junk food tastes like "cardboard and shame".
- If it tastes good, it's bad for you; the tastiest dish Alice ever had was banana pudding her ex-boyfriend had secretly laced with arsenic.
- See Nutritional Nightmare.
- A plant's extremely bitter taste is a sign that it is poisonous.
- Alice tastes broccoli - and likes it.
- Alice decides to start eating healthy and eats the mice from the nearby coal power plant, Alice understandably gets sick
- Alice hates broccoli, but she likes most other vegetables.
- Alice is offered some supposedly healthy food and she hates it. Later she gets sick. It turns out it wasn't very healthy at all.
- Double Subverted: Alice can't handle the aftertaste.
- Parodied: Alice is convinced that bad tasting things must be healthy no matter what they are, she dies after eating horrible tasting poisons.
- Zig Zagged:
- Alice has a love-hate relationship with vegetables and tofu.
- Alice can take broccoli. As long as it's smothered in cheese sauce. But she admits she loves other vegetables... not mentioning that she specifically meant potatoes, in Chips and French Fries form.
- It's all in the preparation; Alice will hate vegetables that are cooked but will eat them raw for example.
- Alice hates the classic vegetables and some healthy things; but will regularly eat other stuff that is healthy.
- Averted: Alice's favorite foods are apples, ice cream, bran flakes, and bacon; her least favourites are broccoli, chocolate, and cheeseburgers.
- Enforced: "Everyone knows health food tastes like crap. Let's make that into a Running Gag."
- Lampshaded: "If it's good for me, why does it taste so unspeakably vile?"
- Invoked: A pharmaceutical company puts a bitter taste in a medicine so kids won't mistake it for candy.
- Exploited: Bob, wanting to kill Alice, convinces her that a deadly poison is actually healthy because of the bitterness.
- Defied: Alice determines to find some healthy stuff that actually tastes good.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Alice's boyfriend is eternally frustrated at how picky an eater she is, and nags her that she's harming her body. She develops a heart condition from never eating healthy food, and eventually has a minor heart attack.
- Reconstructed: Alice determines to cut down to eating the really unhealthy stuff only in moderation. Her boyfriend takes her on a cordon bleu cookery course, and they learn how to make food that tastes good without being unhealthy. Her favorite dish is still banoffee pie with ice cream.
- Played For Laughs:
- Played For Drama: Alice is perceived as unwise and unhealthy due to her poor diet and is treated as such. She may even flat out refuse to eat it and be anorexic.
Back to If It Tastes Bad, It Must Be Good for You
. And despite the taste it won't kill ya to eat a salad once in a while.