: When the Big Bad
comes looking for the hero, others defiantly claim to be him.
- Straight: Lord Darkspike and his soldiers come for The Masked Hero. The Hero's allies all stand up and claim to be him/her.
- Exaggerated: Everyone in earshot claims to be the Hero, even some of the soldiers.
- Downplayed: Only the real Hero and the Hero's best friend claim to be The Masked Hero.
- Justified: Lord Darkspike is Lawful Evil; if he can't identify The Masked Hero, he won't punish innocent parties.
- Nobody stands up and claims to be The Masked Hero.
- When Lord Darkspike proclaims amnesty for The Masked Hero, a dozen prisoners claim to be him/her.
- Subverted: First one person stands up and claims to be The Masked Hero, then... nobody else. Not even the real Hero.
- Double Subverted: ...but as the fake Hero is about to be executed, dozens of Masked Heroes emerge and surround Lord Darkspike.
- Parodied: Everyone and everything claims to be The Masked Hero, including the little girl, the dog, and Lord Darkspike.
- Zig Zagged:
- The Masked Hero knows that Lord Darkspike won't harm innocent people just to flush the Hero out, so he/she stays in hiding. But a random villager steps forward and claims to be The Masked Hero. The villager stands tall, waiting for others to do the same, but nobody does. He tries to recant as the soldiers drag him away.
Aghast, the real Hero and his/her compatriots plan to all come forth as "The Masked Hero". But the villager was a plant by Lord Darkspike, to get the Hero and allies to do just that. It backfires, and when the Hero and allies all step forward, so do hundreds of complete strangers.
- Averted: Lord Darkspike never asks The Masked Hero to reveal him/herself.
- Enforced: The story is an adaptation of the historical Spartacus's uprising, and so everyone expects to see this happen.
Lord Darkspike: "Would The Masked Hero please come forth and end this suffering?"
Peasant: "I'm The Masked Hero!"
Lord Darkspike: "Yes, yes, and I bet your name is Spartacus, too. Would the real Masked Hero please come forth?"
- Invoked: The Masked Hero and his/her allies make plans to pull this if Lord Darkspike comes for him.
- Exploited: Lord Darkspike knows who The Masked Hero is, but he pushes for him/her to reveal him/herself in order to flush out sympathisers.
Lord Darkspike: "...and please, if I have more than one person claim to be The Masked Hero, I will just kill you all. And your families."
"I would ask The Masked Hero to step forward and spare the rest of you from punishment, but then I'd probably have ten of you claim to be him. Guards! Kill 'em All
Charlie and Dana (watching): "I'm Spartacus!"
- Deconstructed: Lord Darkspike gets fed up of the demonstration and tries killing everyone.
- Reconstructed: Lord Darkspike finds out that the Masked Hero is actually there to kick his ass, surrounded and backed by everyone who just stood up for him.
- Played For Laughs: Lord Darkspike is shown to get increasingly confused, and even joins in at one point.