Playing With: Hot Scientist
: Exactly What It Says on the Tin
; an attractive scientist.
- Straight: Dr. Alice Smartypants not only holds several Ph.D's, she's also very attractive. (A fact which is definitely not lost on her male students...and sometimes her female ones.)
- Exaggerated: When Dr. Smartypants walks into the lab or the classroom, a heavenly choir sings, light surrounds her, animals gather outside of the window, and everyone stares. Because she's just that beautiful. And that's before she takes off her glasses!
- Downplayed: Dr. Smartypants is an Unkempt Beauty. She would shine a lot more if she took some time to made herself up, but...
I'm too busy with my research to care about something as superfluous my physical appearance or eating three times a day
- Subverted: Dr. Smartypants has a reputation for her good looks, but she looks like a regular Girl Next Door.
- Double Subverted: But every one of her colleagues, students, lab assistants, etc. thinks she's pretty. (And so do the fans!)
- Parodied: Dr. Smartypants is played by a hot actress who acts more like Dumb Blond saying long words and oftens likes to expose her cleavage to the audience.
- Zig Zagged:
- Some days, Dr. Smartypants comes into the lab looking like a goddess, other times (usually when she's been working her ass off with little rest) she's a wreck.
- Or, since beauty is subjective, some view Dr. Smartypants as one of The Beautiful Elite, others view her as Hollywood Homely.
- Enforced: The author wants to show that smart and hot are not mutually exclusive.
- Lampshaded: "And my hot biology professor, Dr. Smartypants..."
- Invoked: Dr. Smartypants works hard to maintain her appearance to prove that just because she's intelligent does not mean that she can't be beautiful, too.
- Exploited: Because Dr. Smartypants is meeting with the press/board of directors/investors/Congress, she makes an effort to clean up her appearance in hopes of getting more funding or publicity for her research.
- Defied: In an attempt to get her colleagues and students to take her more seriously, Dr. Smartypants makes herself look Hollywood Homely (or tries to, anyway); she doesn't put on any makeup, she cuts her hair short and/or lets it get frizzy, she puts on a pair of thick Nerd Glasses, stops shaving her legs, etc. Whether or not this works is another matter entirely.
- Discussed: "Remember, we're going to meet Dr. Smartypants tomorrow; twenty bucks says she's way hot."
- Conversed: "They're getting such hot actors to play scientists these days. It's like they care more about the character's appearance than her actual scientific credentials."
- Deconstructed: Others may not take Dr. Smartypants seriously, because her profession cares about smarts, not looks. Other scientists may write her off as a Brainless Beauty, which forces Dr. Smartypants to have to work twice as hard as her colleagues to get credit where it's due.
- Reconstructed: But because Dr. Smartypants has to work harder, she's very dedicated to what she does, and her work is outstanding. Which eventually does lead to her winning the respect and admiration of the other scientists.
- Played For Laughs:
Back to Hot Scientist