: The villain has captured one of the good guys, and demands that the other heroes give him the MacGuffin
in exchange for their friend.
- Straight: Alice is captured by the Big Bad, but the Big Bad tells Bob that he is willing to let her go if Bob just gives him the MacGuffin.
- Exaggerated: The Big Bad has captured all the heroes except Bob, and is willing to let them go if Bob gives him the multiple plot coupons.
- Downplayed: Alice is stuck in a neutral area in a war. The Big Bad is willing to let the hero's side reclaim the area without a fight if he just hands over the MacGuffin.
- Justified: The Hero is too good hearted to be bribed or blackmailed, but he would do anything to protect his friends.
- Inverted: The Big Bad has obtained the MacGuffin, but is willing to give it to the heroes in exchange for Alice.
- The Big Bad is about to capture Alice so he can get Bob to give him the MacGuffin in exchange for her safety, but Alice manages to get away...
- The "hostage" is Captain Awesome's Secret Identity.
- Bob tries to give the Big Bad the MacGuffin to save Alice, but it turns out that the Clingy MacGuffin has other ideas. It simply reappears in Bob's hand, takes over his body and prevents him from handing it over, etc.
- Double Subverted: ... So he captures Carol who just conveniently showed up instead.
- Parodied: The Big Bad has Alice. Every single meeting after the capturing has the Big Bad saying something along the lines of "you know, I might be willing to let a few things go if you hand over the MacGuffin" Each time.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: The Big Bad captures Alice as bait because he knows Bob won't give up the MacGuffin that easily.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Let me guess, I have to give you the item if I want her back safely, right?"
- Invoked: Bob and the Big Bad are both trying to find the MacGuffin, so the villain captures Alice and keeps her hostage so he will have a back-up plan just in case Bob happens to find the MacGuffin first.
- Exploited: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Hostage for MacGuffin