Playing With: Hope Spot
Basic Trope: Something gives the heroes hope, which is then shattered.
Back to Hope Spot
- Straight: Jim is defeated and at the mercy of Emperor Evulz, when Bob shows up. Evulz then takes down Bob with a single blast.
- Downplayed: The odds of success weren't very good before the Hope Spot was shattered.
- Justified: Evulz knew Bob was coming
- Inverted: Jim is about to be killed, and Bob has been defeated... only for the Even Bigger Neutral to decide that evil is not winning, thank you very much, and show up with an army of Cthulhu Clones.
- Subverted: Jim is defeated and at the mercy of Emperor Evulz, when Bob shows up. Evulz then takes down Bob with a single blast. Bob then gets back up, dusts himself off, and beats Evulz into submission.
- Double Subverted: ...and Evulz reveals that he is not left handed.
- Parodied: Jim is in Hell fighting with Emperor Evulz. As he makes the killing blow, a beam of light shines on Jim as a Cherubic Choir sings in the background and pure white wings appear on his back. He flies out of Hell...right before a Record Needle Scratch is heard and Evulz abruptly yanks Jim back into Hell with a giant black tentacle he definitely didn't have a minute ago.
- Zig Zagged: Jim is defeated and at the mercy of Emperor Evulz, when Bob shows up. Evulz then takes down Bob with a single blast. Bob then gets back up, dusts himself off, and beats Evulz into submission.Evulz then reveals that he is not left handed. Bob turns off the Power Limiter and takes down Evulz. Evulz goes One-Winged Angel and kills Bob, who then comes back from the dead and kills Evulz Deader Than Dead. Everyone starts celebrating, when Evulz reveals they were Fighting a Shadow.
- Something happens to give Jim hope. Things then turn out as he hoped, with no catch.
- Nothing happens that would give Jim hope once things start going downhill.
- "This scene is too boring, so lets spice it up by having the viewers think that Jim's getting rescued!"
- The producers want to avoid people losing interest in the story so they throw in a hope spot to reel 'em in.
- Invoked: Evulz, having read his Sun Tzu, gives the heroes a Hope Spot so that they don't break out their Desperation Attack until it's too late.
- Exploited: Evulz allows the heroes to have Hope Spots, just so he can shatter them, breaking the heroes' spirits.
- Defied: Bob shows up to save Jim and beats the crap out of Emperor Evulz, because he Took a Level in Badass, knowing that Emperor Evulz would be prepared for him.
"Whatever happens to me, don't come to my rescue if I get captured."
"That's when you'd die."
- Conversed: "Why can't the guys who come to the rescue ever be helpful?"
Back to Hope Spot