Playing With: Home Sweet Home
: A character wants to settle down rather than adventure.
- Straight: Octavio, who is helping hunt down goblins, would like to spend his life in the city where he was born, rather than this endless journeying and fighting.
- Octavio refuses to leave his home even when the goblin horde has besieged the city.
- Octavio's friends agree with him.
- Octavio occasionally mentions how nice it would be to settle down.
- Hieronymus refuses to leave his home to help the characters against the evil wizard; he gives them some knowledge and sends them on their way.
- Justified: The comforts of home are hard to get when you are not at home.
- Subverted: Octavio gets home, buys a cottage, and stays there — for a month, at which time he takes to the road.
- Double Subverted: But Angelica asks him to stay a little longer, and it turns he was just a little restless.
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: Octavio talks of going home, gets excited about the prospect of seeing something new, gets tired of the road, cheers up at some excitement.
- All the characters love being on the road.
- The characters do not leave the city in the first place.
- Enforced: "So far, this plot seems rather shallow. Let's have Octavio or one of the other heroes grow tired of journeying."
- Lampshaded: "Why do you want this adventure to end? It's exciting seeing something new every day!" "I don't know. I guess I'm just homesick."
- Invoked: Octavio leaves his hometown, knowing full well that he will probably get homesick at some point.
- Exploited: The Mole argues against his leaving, since he loves home so much.
- Octavio decides against the great adventure he has planned, for fear of homesickness or other reasons.
- Octavio thinks it over, and decides that he is happier on the road after all.
- Octavio hates home life (possibly for one of the reasons discussed above), and takes full advantage of any excuse to leave.
- Discussed: "Don't you ever get homesick, Octavio?" "Heck, no. I love living on the road, just like all normal heroes."
- Conversed: "It looks like Octavio's getting dragged away from his sweet pad for a whacky adventure again. Against his will."
- Implied: In some of the towns he visits, Octavio looks at Eccentric Townsfolk going about their normal lives, and gets a wistful look on his face.
- Deconstructed: When Octavio's journey ends, he returns to his hometown, but misses his friends who are from different cities and towns.
- Reconstructed: Octavio keeps in touch with his friends.
- Played For Laughs: Octavio would like to return to his hometown, but can't remember it well. He settles down in the wrong town, and lives three for several months before realizing his mistake.
- Played For Drama: Octavio returns to his hometown at the end of his adventure, but is no longer welcome there.
Back to Home Sweet Home