Playing With: Hollywood Pudgy
Basic Trope: An average-sized woman (or, more rarely, man) is seen as overweight or obese. Closely related to Hollywood Homely.
Back to Hollywood Pudgy
- Straight: Alice is a size 10, but everyone (including Alice) thinks she's chubby.
- Exaggerated: Alice is, at most, a size 4, and everyone believes she's morbidly obese.
- Downplayed: Alice would indeed be considered overweight by medical standards, but everyone reacts to her as if she is morbidly obese.
- Alice is in or aspiring to a profession where weight is restricted: a dancer, a wrestler, a gymnast, a jockey, a figure-skater, or some such.
- Alice IS chubby...comparatively, that is.
- Alice used to be very thin, but gained some weight. It's not necessarily her being pudgy that people are reacting to, so much as the change.
- Alice is part of a species that skinnier than your average human generally-speaking and as such, is treated as fat.
- Hollywood Thin
- Real Women Have Curves
- Alice is 5'4 and 120 lbs, and everyone reacts to her as if she is starving or anorexic.
- Alice really is noticeably overweight or even obese, but no one reacts to her as if she is heavy.
- Bob is 6'1", 175 lbs, and bench presses 185 lbs. Everyone reacts to him as if he is pathetically weak, skinny, and sickly, even though he is average in weight and strength.
- Average-sized Alice takes mockery for her 'pudgy' body, but then we see her shed a fatsuit and frumpy clothes to reveal a skinny frame.
- Average-sized Alice believes she is being mocked for her 'pudgy' body, but the person was actually intending to compliment her on having a healthy or attractive body...Alice just misunderstood.
- Double Subverted: ... and as everyone looks at her, they all say in unison: "My God! Alice, you're such a whale!"
- Parodied: Alice is an emaciated pile of skin and bones, and someone still calls her fat.
- Zig Zagged: Some see Alice as thin, some see her as fat, and others see her as something in-between.
- Averted: Alice is average weight and her body size and shape are never mentioned.
- "We need a plain, non-threatening best friend for our female lead."
- The thin actress hired to play Alice refused to gain more than ten pounds for the role.
- Lampshaded: "Alice, bathing suit season is coming and you're a size 5. Start dieting now because YOU ARE FAT!"
- Invoked: Alice goes to a training session for models, gymnastics class, joins the women's wrestling team, etc. and is told to lose weight in order to better compete.
- Exploited: ???
- Alice refuses to give into ridiculous notions and unrealistic standards of beauty, and goes out to face the world...and wear a bikini.
- The producer fires the actress who refused to gain more than ten pounds for the role and hires someone who more realistically fit the character's image.
- Discussed: "Why do you call her fat? She's just average size." "Average is sugar-coating for FAT! There's no average! There is slim and FAT and she's FAAAAT!"
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Although Alice is at a healthy, average weight for her age and height, the belief that she's fat causes her to diet obsessively and gain an eating disorder.
- Reconstructed: Alice dresses in a manner that's flattering to her body (whatever size and shape it may be), and goes out to face the world. People find her self-confidence attractive and inspiring.
- Played For Laughs: See "Parodied" (Can be used as either Black Comedy, Satire or both)
- Played For Drama: Alice has become anorexic, in her quest to fit into society's ideals, and must find a way to get through her issues and recover... Or else she'll die.
Back to Hollywood Pudgy