Playing With: Hollywood Pudgy
: An average-sized woman (or, more rarely, man) is seen as overweight or obese. Closely related to Hollywood Homely
- Straight: Alice is a size 10, but everyone (including Alice) thinks she's chubby.
- Exaggerated: Alice is, at most, a size 4, and everyone believes she's morbidly obese.
- Downplayed: Alice would indeed be considered overweight by medical standards, but everyone reacts to her as if she is morbidly obese.
- Alice is in or aspiring to a profession where weight is restricted: a dancer, a wrestler, a gymnast, a jockey, a figure-skater, or some such.
- Alice IS chubby...comparatively, that is.
- Alice used to be very thin, but gained some weight. It's not necessarily her being pudgy that people are reacting to, so much as the change.
- Alice is part of a species that skinnier than your average human generally-speaking and as such, is treated as fat.
- Subverted: Average-sized Alice takes mockery for her 'pudgy' body, but then we see her shed a fatsuit and frumpy clothes to reveal a skinny frame.
- Double Subverted: ... and as everyone looks at her, they all say in unison: "My God! Alice, you're such a whale!"
- Parodied: Alice is an emaciated pile of skin and bones, and someone still calls her fat.
- Zig Zagged: Some see Alice as thin, some see her as fat, and others see her as something in-between.
- Averted: Alice is average weight and her body size and shape are never mentioned.
- "We need a plain, non-threatening best friend for our female lead."
- The thin actress hired to play Alice refused to gain more than ten pounds for the role.
- Lampshaded: "Alice, bathing suit season is coming and you're a size 5. Start dieting now because YOU ARE FAT!"
- Invoked: Alice goes to a training session for models, gymnastics class, joins the women's wrestling team, etc. and is told to lose weight in order to better compete.
- Exploited: ???
- Alice refuses to give into ridiculous notions and unrealistic standards of beauty, and goes out to face the world...and wear a bikini.
- The producer fires the actress who refused to gain more than ten pounds for the role and hires someone who more realistically fit the character's image.
- Discussed: "Why do you call her fat? She's just average size." "Average is sugar-coating for FAT! There's no average! There is slim and FAT and she's FAAAAT!"
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Although Alice is at a healthy, average weight for her age and height, the belief that she's fat causes her to diet obsessively and gain an eating disorder.
- Reconstructed: Alice dresses in a manner that's flattering to her body (whatever size and shape it may be), and goes out to face the world. People find her self-confidence attractive and inspiring.
- Played For Laughs: See "Parodied" (Can be used as either Black Comedy, Satire or both)
- Played For Drama: Alice has become anorexic, in her quest to fit into society's ideals, and must find a way to get through her issues and recover... Or else she'll die.
Back to Hollywood Pudgy