Playing With: Hollywood Atheist
: An atheist in fiction will be a Jerkass
and centered on proving religion wrong.
- Straight: Lilith went to war and saw horrifying things, and decided based on this that God cannot exist, and thus that there is no reason to do right.
- Lilith is very aggressive with her atheism, and she bashes every believer she comes across.
- Flat Earth Atheist, but only when the character is particularly militant about it.
- Downplayed: Lilith is very stern about her not believing in religion, and while she will argue her points against religion when and if it comes up, she tries not to actively seek out people to bash. "Tries" being the keyword here.
- Lilith is a member of a society where Hollywood Atheism is the standard.
- Lilith is the kind of person who needs proof of something to believe in it.
- God Is Evil is in full force in Lilith's universe, therefor by opposing the institutions that worship it, she's actually fighting against evil itself.
- Lilith is a fundamentalist.
- Lilith is a nun.
- Alice is an atheist and is portrayed as heroic.
- Alice complains that Lilith has only lost her faith because of her tragedy. Lilith pops in and complains that Alice only says that because she's The Fundamentalist.
- Lilith is an atheist, and maybe mentions it once or twice, but doesn't make a big hairy deal about it.
- Alice is an atheist and a Jerkass towards Lilith, but it's later revealed she hates Lilith for a reason other than being religious.
- Double Subverted: Until one of her victims begins to pray, causing her to fly into a psychotic rage and kill them.
- Zig Zagged: Lilith is a villain and disdainful towards religious people, whereas Isolde, though also an atheist and working for Lilith, is more understanding and eventually does a Heel-Face Turn (while she keeps her atheism).
- Alice is an atheist and is an atheist simply because she finds the idea of God illogical, not because of trauma, and is friendly, happy, has a strong moral code, not hypocritical, and only argues with people if they start it.
- Lilith never brings up her faith (or lack thereof).
- Lilith, while villainous, doesn't appear to be motivated by lack of faith.
- Lilith is a non-villainous and non-traumatized atheist.
- The show is aimed at religious people and atheists are an Acceptable Target.
- The writers show how atheism can be taken to extremes, like any other thing.
- Invoked: Alice's parents were atheists, and thus she was raised without belief in gods.
- Exploited: Kane wants to start a fight, so he asks Lilith if she thinks God exists, in front of her Christian best friend, Eva.
- Defied: "Dammit, worship whoever you want!"
- Discussed: "Lilith doesn't seem to like religion..."
- Conversed: "Man, Lilith was fucked up! What was her deal?" "The writers had a manic Christian on the loose."
- Implied: Every religious character dislikes Lilith and she never goes to church.
Back to Hollywood Atheist