Playing With: Hollywood Homely
: An average-looking woman (or, more rarely, man) is regarded as absolutely hideous.
- Straight: Alice isn't ugly, but is regarded as ugly.
- Exaggerated: Alice is very beautiful, but is regarded as a example of The Grotesque.
- Alice has mild acne, but since no other character has acne at all, other characters act as if her acne is severe.
- Alice is regarded as "cute but not hot" and it is acknowledged that she would look good if she'd lose the glasses.
- Alice is a regular woman from somewhere out in Fly Over Country who finds herself in LA for whatever reason(s).
- Alice lives in a society full of people who are more attractive than her.
- Subverted: She Cleans Up Nicely or is Beautiful All Along
- Double Subverted: Alice gets a makeover and/or plastic surgery, and ends up looking worse than before.
- Parodied: People are Driven to Suicide by the mere sight of Alice, even though she is average-looking.
- Zig Zagged: Some think Alice is a goddess, others see her as an Eldritch Abomination
- Alice is one of The Beautiful Elite.
- Alice is a regular woman with regular looks, but is beautiful for her time and place. Maybe even exceptionally so.
- No real commentary (positive or negative) is made regarding Alice's looks.
- A pretty or average-looking actress plays Alice the ugly chick. However instead of just giving her frumpy clothes and glasses, they give her a Gag Nose and tons of warts.
- Enforced: "We need a plain (not ugly, per se, but still nonthreatening) best friend for our female lead."
- Lampshaded: "Dude, Alice is so plain, she's fugly!"
- Invoked: Alpha Bitch Betty, being jealous of Alice being quite pretty yet having a boyfriend, starts saying to the public that Alice is ugly.
- Exploited: Claire is So Beautiful, It's a Curse, so she hides her looks by making herself look slightly frumpy.
- Defied: Alice does not change anything about her looks, no matter how frumpy they may be.
- Discussed: "You know, Alice, if you put on some makeup, lost a couple of pounds, and put on a new outfit, you'd be hot!"
- Conversed: "Alice isn't ugly! What kind of drugs are you on?! She looks like a regular Girl Next Door!"
- Deconstructed: Alice feels a lot of pressure to look like the models and actresses in today's media, and has some serious body-image issues. May lead her to such things as eating disorders, excessive plastic surgery, spending money she does not have on trendy clothes, etc.
- Reconstructed: Alice learns that she is not ugly, and goes out to face the world, average looks and all. She makes an effort to look nice and presentable, but does not go to extremes.
- Played For Laughs:
- Played For Drama:
- Alice obsesses over her looks and runs into problems (see "Deconstruction")
- Alice matures and learns that she isn't ugly.
- Alice gets a makeover, but learns that she was never ugly, just plain.
- People's hurtful remarks harm Alice's self-esteem.
? But she's hideous!