: Moneyed, sophisticated characters wear monocles.
- Straight: Humphrey the Non-Idle Rich wears a monocle.
- Exaggerated: Humphrey is a Fiction 500 member who wears two monocles, one on each eye. His father, who is even more rich, wears three.
- Downplayed: Humphrey wears pince-nez glasses.
- Humphrey's monocle is actually a hi-tech appliance that is bulletproof, increases his visual acuity, and is a mobile computer with wi-fi connection and stats display. It's so expensive that he is one of the few that can afford it.
- Alternatively: Humphrey needs vision correction in only one eye.
- Inverted: Humphrey's poor servant Helena wears a monocle, and Humphrey does not.
- Subverted: People think that Humphrey is rich because of his monocle, but he is actually a middle class slob.
- Double Subverted: Later it is revealed that Humphrey is secretly a millionaire.
- Parodied: Only Humphrey is of great enough status to wear a monocle, and with his riches he hires a task force to punish anyone else that dares to wear one.
- Zig Zagged: Humphrey doesn't wear a monocle despite being a princeb but his father does. Then again, so does his wife, who is a villager but his mother doesn't, even though she is a noblewoman.
- Averted: No one wears monocles or everyone does.
- Enforced: "Hey, he doesn't look as elegant as he should... how about if we add a monocle?"
- Lampshaded: "You are so elegant, it's no doubt why you wear that monocle."
- Invoked: No one takes Humphrey seriously, so he wears a monocle to look like a noble.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Do you think that just because I'm a noble, I have to wear a monocle?"
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to High-Class Glass
, if you're rich enough.