Playing With: Hide Your Pregnancy
: When a TV or movie actress becomes pregnant, and the pregnancy can't be written into the storyline, techniques are used to make her belly bump less obvious.
- Straight: During the filming of Crime Time Soap, Alice (who plays an Action Girl detective who has stated more than once that Children Are a Waste and has no boyfriend or husband) becomes pregnant. So her character suddenly is filmed sitting down more often than standing up, and starts wearing thick sweaters and carrying thick binders in front of her.
- Alice's character is almost never seen out of bed, with no explanation why.
- The character is played by Betty, instead of Alice.
- The character is Put on a Bus for the remainder of the season.
- The character becomes a Voice with an Internet Connection, or is only heard on the phone.
- Downplayed: They eschew scenery blockades, Alice ends up wearing an extra loose trench coat loaded with heavy weaponry throughout the pregnancy. Given that she is already a gun runner it doesn't stand out. However attentive viewers can see the belly during a few frames when she opens her coat to give her arsenal to her allies.
- The character has become pregnant (probably as a result of the Law of Inverse Fertility), and wants or needs to keep it a secret in-story.
- The character does a lot of stunts that would be unsafe for a pregnant woman even to attempt, necessitating a stunt double.
- There is no way the pregnancy can be effectively written in. For example, the character has been established from the start as a bit of a Tsundere who Does Not Like Men (or simply can't keep them around) and believes Children Are a Waste.
- At the time of production, pregnancy (being a result of—gasp!—sex) is a taboo subject and therefore cannot even be mentioned, let alone shown, on network TV.
- Alice's character displays an obvious baby bump, whether it's in-character or not.
- Alice is not pregnant, but her character is, and Alice has to wear something under her clothes to make her look the part.
- Alice's belly bump is shown.
- Alice is Put on a Bus before she begins to show.
- Double Subverted:
- Parodied: Alice is trying to hide that she is pregnant using all sorts of common cinematic tricks of increasing absurdity. It ends with her carrying around a refrigerator box for no apparent reason. Everyone else wonders what the hell Alice is doing.
- Zig Zagged:
- Sometimes Alice's belly is shown on camera, other times it's hidden.
- In an example of recursive disguise Alice's actress is pregnant. Alice is not but she disguises herself as pregnant to aid in smuggling out stolen documents. Nobody expects a pregnant woman to be robbing offices. Then after her actress has the baby she needs to disguise it to finish the plot next season. Ironically Alice ends up pregnant in character later, causing a fake pregnancy. At least until her actress becomes pregnant again in which case they progressively cut down on the padding.
- Neither Alice nor the character she plays is pregnant.
- Alice's bump is shown, and the pregnancy may even be actually written in.
- Enforced: Real Life Writes the Plot
- Lampshaded: "Since when does she wear chunky sweaters and do mostly paperwork at her desk?"
- Invoked: The director and Alice's actress troll the paparazzi by using the tricks in an episode to raise speculation about a nonexistent pregnancy.
- Exploited: ???
- The pregnancy is not only shown, but written into the storyline somehow.
- Otherwise, Alice miscarries or has an abortion.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Isn't it obvious? Alice Troper is pregnant, but the producers of Crime Time Soap don't want to make her character pregnant, so they just hide her bump."
Go back to Hide Your Pregnancy
. I'm just going to stand in front of this chair for... no reason