Playing With: Het Is Ew
Basic Trope: Hetrosexuality is being treated as negative.
Back to Het Is Ew
- Straight: Bob was called out for choosing Alice over Draco.
- Exaggerated: Between Draco and Alice for marriage, Bob chose Alice, and got chased down by a mob instantly.
- Downplayed: Between Draco and Alice for marriage, the crowd cheered Bob to choose Draco.
- In canon material, it's perfectly clear that Bob is just using Alice as a cover for his actual sexual preference, meanwhile, his interactions with Draco (who is gay himself in the source material, too) show that they would be extremely compatible and a lot happier if they were together, but the author refuses to pair them up while still throwing a lot of thinly veiled subtext on the way.
- Characters (within the story) stereotype heterosexuals as homophobic due to past experiences, only to become the very prejudice that they hate.
- There is a literal Battle Of The Sexes and anyone dates, has sex with, or makes out with a member of the opposite sex is seen as a traitor.
- A gay guy thinks he's entitled to have Bob as his boyfriend and so does everyone else.
- They think Bob would be happier as a homosexual.
- Everyone thinks Bob is gay and just want him to come out the closet already.
- Overpopulation is the main societal concern - heterosexual relationships became stigmatized.
- Everyone agreed all at once that Heterosexuality is boring.
- Inverted: Heteronormative Crusader, especially on the homosexuality aspect.
- Subverted: Bob was called out for choosing Alice over Draco, but that's because Alice is actually a Bitch in Sheep's Clothing and she would treat Bob like crap.
- Double Subverted: Heterosexual relations are always assumed to turn out this way and not homosexual ones.
- Parodied: Bob was called out for not getting raped by Draco.
- Zig Zagged: Multiple possibilities are explored in various ways, resulting in a small underground war over the Alice/Bob/Draco relationship.
- Averted: The crowd cheered whether Bob chose Alice or Draco.
- Lampshaded: "Stigmatizing heterosexuality? What is this some bad middle school fan fiction?"
- Invoked: A gay man tries to get homosexuals to start hating straight people so that they will know how it feels to be discriminated against just because you love someone.
- Exploited: "If you don't tell me who is the mastermind of the crime mister, I'll tell you a BobXAlice love story."
- Quin refuses to judge heterosexuality negatively & let others do the same because he feels that people will use prejudice against heterosexuality as an excuse to not take the LGBT rights movement all that seriously.
- "I don't care how much heterosexuality you see in the media, it's valid love as homosexuality, and I refuse become a hypocrite by hating it."
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Another straight couple. How daring. So much for seeing anyone like myself in this show." "How can you so flagrantly hate straight people after years of being discriminated against by us?"
Back to Het Is Ew