: Heroes and swords go hand in hand.
- Straight: Bob, the main character of Heroes of Troperia, is given a sword right before setting off on his quest to save the world.
- Exaggerated: Absolutely every main character in the Heroes of Troperia series uses a sword, even when the game is set in outer space.
- Downplayed: Bob's favorite weapon is the sword, but he uses a variety of different weapons depending on the situation.
- Firearms don't exist in the setting of "Heroes of Troperia", so melee weapons such as swords are actually effective in combat.
- Bob is under the legal age to possess firearms, or doesn't have access to them.
- All the firearms in the setting are used by villains.
- Swords are given as an award for great feats of courage. Bob has a sword because he is a hero.
- Bob's enemies are reinforced to protect against firearms. Bob's sword is more effective against them.
- Subverted: Bob is given a sword, but immediately loses it.
- Doubly Subverted: But his Infinity+1 Sword is (you guessed it) a sword, and so is the aptly-named Sword of Plot Advancement.
- Parodied: Anyone who touches a sword instantly becomes the main character.
- Zig Zagged: Bob starts out with a sword. But later on can wield a variety of weapons. But his better weapons are still swords. But most enemies are immune to swords(?!). However, all of Bob's Limit Breaks that overcome any defense can only be used with swords...
- Games with sword-wielding heroes do sell better. So Bob is a sword-wielding hero in outer space.
- You can't change Bob's weapon, since the game doesn't let you sell and buy equipment. Bob's sword stays as his weapon for the whole game.
- Lampshaded: "Wow, you must be the prophesied hero! You wield a sword!"
- Invoked: When Emperor Evulz' evil army invade his village, Bob the farmer takes up his sword, hoping to defeat them like the heroes in legend.
- Exploited: Emperor Evulz is a master of jutte, knowing that heroes are out to get him.
- Defied: With more practical weapons available, Bob sees no reason to even look twice at a sword.
- Discussed: "The stories say: in bleak times such as now, there is always a sword-wielding hero rising to fight the tyrant."
- Conversed: "Unlike what you may read in story books, a sword is an unlikely weapon for the heroes."
- Played For Laughs: Everyone else, who use more efficient weapons, ridicule Bob for Compensating for Something.
- Played For Drama:
- It's Bob's code of honor to use swords, so when a hostage-taking situation happens where he is forced to use throwing daggers, he is in a serious pinch.
- Bob's sword is broken, so he gives up being a hero and fades into obscurity.
Take this sword and return to Heroes Prefer Swords
. Go and save us all!