Playing With: Granola Girl
Basic Trope: Hippie chick.
Back to Granola Girl
- Straight: Alice is an animal rights activist, prefers hemp and linen to polyester, recycles, drives a Prius, is a member of a co-op, spends quite a lot of time and money eating organic, and sees a Naturopath regularly.
- Alice 'frees' pets from their owners, is perpetually nude, doesn't use anything that cannot be washed and reused, eats only raw or local or what she grows herself, and protests outside of doctor's offices.
- Alternatively, Alice has gone 'off the grid' and lives as one with nature.
- Downplayed: Alice likes flowers, health food and folk music, but still drives her kids to school in a minivan.
- Justified: Alice suffers various allergies that make her especially sensitive to additives in food and household products.
- Inverted: Alice is a Blonde Republican Sex Kitten.
- Gender Inverted: Colin is a male New-Age Retro Hippie.
- Subverted: Alice is raised in a free-loving hippie commune, and follows most of their ways out of habit. While she is the least 'earthy' of her family, she's still firmly a hippie by normal standards.
- Double Subverted: Despite Alice's firm skepticism about New Age propaganda, she learns that they were right all along about food additives and Western medicine.
- Parodied: Alice is a Large Ham and shameless toker who hilariously passes around illicit substances to younger family members during church.
- Zig Zagged: Alice is a New Age guru who is eventually exposed to believe absolutely nothing she preaches — nor practice it — but is simply just a shameless opportunistic capitalist.
- Averted: Alice eats healthy according to the recommendations of proven science and common sense, and avoids over-consumption out of tact.
- Enforced: Alice is a character in a movie about hippies in the 1960s.
- Lampshaded: "Don't ask Alice about what we ought to do about the deer overpopulation problem. She's a PETA nut."
- Exploited: Bob gets Alice to collaborate with him on an ecologically destructive project by asserting his support for marijuana decriminalization.
- Defied: Alice, daughter of hippies, is head of public relations for multinational fast food company McBeefy's.
- Discussed: "You're Alice?? From reading your blog, I was expecting more hemp..."
- Conversed: "Man, I identify as socially liberal, but that Alice chick in this show is really over-the-top. Nobody is actually like that, right?"
- Implied: Alice spends all her time outdoors and is incredibly mellow and in various states of undress.
- Alice alienates people by talking constantly about politics, and offends others when she turns her nose up at their 'non-enlightened' lifestyles.
- Alternatively, Alice contracts cancer and pursues homeopathic remedies because she distrusts modern medicine. She quickly succumbs to an out-of-control malignant brain tumor.
- Alice refuses to have her son David inoculated. He contracts smallpox from another uninoculated child at his daycare, and dies.
- Reconstructed: Alice learns from the misfortunes stemming from her blind adherence to natural remedies and New Age propaganda, and embarks on a quest to insist that the organic and alternative medicine industries be properly regulated and monitored.
- Played For Laughs: Alice finds herself stranded in a lesbian hippie commune. Hilarity Ensues.
- Played For Drama: Alice grew up on the shores of a picturesque river with dreams of eventually taking up the family's organic fish farm. She dies penniless at the age of 35 — with traces of toxic heavy metals in all her major organs — after an unsuccessful and bitter legal battle with a polluting oil refinery upstream.
Back to Granola Girl