Playing With: Got Volunteered
Basic Trope: A character "volunteers" for something against his or her will.
- Straight: Alice and Bob are "volunteered" for a dangerous or humiliating job by their boss Charlie.
- Exaggerated: Alice and Bob get volunteered for something that is patently illegal, suicidal, or just plain nuts.
- Downplayed: When Charlie asks for three volunteers, no one raises their hands, so he assigns Alice, Bob, and David to the task.
- No one is willing to do the job Charlie has asked them to do (mainly because it is dangerous), but somebody has to do it.
- Due to a technicality, Charlie can't legally order his subordinates to do the job, but it needs to get done, so Charlie has them "volunteer" for it.
- Charlie has a cruel and ironic sense of humour.
- Alice and Bob volunteer Charlie to do the job.
- Alice and Bob do the job despite everyone telling them not to.
- Subverted: Charlie the boss needs to assign a difficult job to his team and he thinks nobody will be too keen on it. However, when he brings it up, Alice and Bob see it as a challenge and enthusiastically want to do the job.
- Double Subverted: Once they learn the details of the job, they try to back out only for Charlie to say "too late."
- Bob does everything he can to avoid being volunteered for the job or activity. He gets slipped up and is volunteered any ways.
- Bob does everything he can to avoid being volunteered for the job or activity, to the point where just doing the work or activity would have been much easier.
- Zig Zagged: Charlie asks for volunteers and Bob steps up. However, it is later shown that Bob was forced into it off screen (Charlie told him before the meeting to volunteer or be fired). When Alice finds out, she prepares to confront Charlie, but Bob reassures her that he would have volunteered anyway. However, Bob's Internal Monologue hints that he only said this to keep Alice out of trouble.
- Averted: Alice and Bob volunteer for the job out of their own free will.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Just once, I'd like to 'volunteer' for something and have it actually be voluntary."
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice and Bob sense that their boss Charlie wants to assign them on an unpleasant job. They promptly find a different thing to do, supervised by Charlie's superior.
- Discussed: "No one's willing to do the job. I bet Charlie's going to 'volunteer' one of us to do it."
- Conversed: "Don't you just love it how [a boss character] from this comic strip always volunteers his team to do the most tedious jobs? And he always takes the credit for their work. What a guy!"
Charlie: Alright, I need a volunteer to go back to Got Volunteered. (Beat) No? Bob! Thanks for being such a good sport.
Bob: Oh, No... Not Again!
Bob: Oh, No... Not Again!