Playing With: Girl-Show Ghetto
: Media aimed at women is by definition frivolous, uninteresting, action-less and overall low-quality, thus should only be enjoyed by women and Camp Gay
men; straight men caught watching it are ridiculed and considered "unmanly".
- Straight: A woman-centred film is announced on TV, Bob and Alice skip past it since there's no way such work could actually be good.
- Bob has to leave town and live under an assumed name because everyone found out he likes soaps.
- Even the Dog Is Ashamed of Bob's love for soaps.
- Bob is arrested and sentenced to prison for watching soaps.
- Downplayed: Although some think it's unusual for Bob to watch soaps, no one says anything to him about it.
- Justified: Bob's sister Carol plays the main character of the soap, so he watches it to support her.
- Inverted: Bob catches flack for not watching soap operas.
- Gender Inverted: Alice watches a football game, and endures endless ribbing from her Girl Posse and maybe Bob about it.
- Subverted: Alice is happy to have someone to watch and discuss her soap with.
- Double Subverted: But then the Schoolyard Bully All Grown Up finds out about it, and so do Bob's buddies, and they tease him mercilessly.
- After watching the soap for five minutes, Bob turns into the campiest Camp Gay guy there ever was.
- The show is so bad it's illegal to make, broadcast or even watch it. Bob would have been better off watching Nazis punting puppies, because that would be more dignified.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Enforced: Rule of Funny.
- Lampshaded: "Dude, you watch soap operas?!
- Invoked: Bob is channel-surfing one day (or is asked to join Alice in her soap-watching time), and ends up watching a soap. He finds the plotlines intriguing and eventually gets hooked.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob decides he has no interest in soap operas, or anything else that's not considered by mainstream society to be Rated M for Manly.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob's friends think less of him as they think he is watching a type of genre he shouldn't watch. This lowers Bob's self-esteem and it even damages their friendship.
Back to Girl-Show Ghetto