Playing With: Girl Show Ghetto
Basic Trope: Media aimed at women is by definition frivolous, uninteresting, action-less and overall low-quality, thus should only be enjoyed by women and Camp Gay men; straight men caught watching it are ridiculed and considered "unmanly".
Back to Girl Show Ghetto
- Straight: A woman-centred film is announced on TV, Bob and Alice skip past it since there's no way such work could actually be good.
- Bob has to leave town and live under an assumed name because everyone found out he likes soaps.
- Even the Dog Is Ashamed of Bob's love for soaps.
- Bob is arrested and sentenced to prison for watching soaps.
- Downplayed: Although some think it's unusual for Bob to watch soaps, no one says anything to him about it.
- Justified: Bob's sister Carol plays the main character of the soap, so he watches it to support her.
- Inverted: Bob catches flack for not watching soap operas.
- Gender Inverted: Alice watches a football game, and endures endless ribbing from her Girl Posse and maybe Bob about it.
- Subverted: Alice is happy to have someone to watch and discuss her soap with.
- Double Subverted: But then the Schoolyard Bully All Grown Up finds out about it, and so do Bob's buddies, and they tease him mercilessly.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Enforced: Rule of Funny.
- Lampshaded: "Dude, you watch soap operas?!
- Invoked: Bob is channel-surfing one day (or is asked to join Alice in her soap-watching time), and ends up watching a soap. He finds the plotlines intriguing and eventually gets hooked.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob decides he has no interest in soap operas, or anything else that's not considered by mainstream society to be Rated M for Manly.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob's friends think less of him as they think he is watching a type of genre he shouldn't watch. This lowers Bob's self-esteem and it even damages their friendship.
- Reconstructed: Alice tells Bob, "If enjoying a certain show damages your friendships, then those people aren't your real friends. Real friends accept who you are regardless of what you like and they shouldn't tell you 'watch this, don't watch that' like bullies do!" This comforts Bob. Meanwhile, his friends decide to check this show out; and then they realize how good it was. They feel guilty and ask Bob for forgiveness. Bob accepts their apology. Eventually, they all marathoned the genre and soon they add more people in their social circle. And boy, it was a party!
Back to Girl Show Ghetto