Playing With: Get a Hold of Yourself Man
: A character gets someone out of a Heroic BSOD
by slapping them.
- Straight: Danny has a breakdown, so Julia slaps him in the face to bring him to his senses.
- Exaggerated: Julia gives Danny a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to snap him out of his Heroic BSOD.
- Downplayed: Julia doesn't inflict physical violence on Danny, but she delivers a "verbal-slap" on him that manages to put him back together.
- Danny is being incredibly wangsty, and this is the only (fast) way to get through to him.
- Julia is unsympathetic to others feeling down, and thinks that being harsh and physical with them is the best way.
- Julia hugs Danny and tells him it'll be okay.
- Alternatively, Julia slaps Danny while he's calm. It makes him angry.
- Alternatively, Danny calms himself down by slapping Julia.
- Julia marches angrily up to Danny, as if she's about to hit him. Then her face softens, and she gently consoles him instead.
- Alternately, Julia slaps Danny, but that only pushes him even further into his breakdown.
- Double Subverted:
- She tells him she's going to get something that will help, and leaves. A few moments later she returns with a glass of cold water, splashes it all over him, and yells at him to get a grip.
- So Julia slaps Danny again and it brought him to his senses.
- Parodied: Danny hits back. He and Julia get into a fistfight.
- Zig Zagged: Julia's mostly nice to Danny, helping him through his problems, but when things get really bad she resorts to this.
- Averted: Danny snaps out of his BSOD by himself.
- Enforced: "Julia's not the type to put up with Wangst, so it'd be in character for her to react like this."
- Lampshaded: "Thanks, I needed that."
- Invoked: Hit Me, Dammit!.
- Exploited: Julia is abusive towards Danny and uses this trope in effect to beat him while he's depressed.
- Danny forces himself to calm down when he sees Julia gearing up to slap him.
- Julia is an Actual Pacifist, so after considering slapping Danny, she gives him a Cool Down Hug instead.
- Discussed: "I know he was being whiny, but you didn't have to hit him like that!"
- Conversed: "So this episode teaches us that in order to help depressed people, you slap them across the face like a dog. Nice moral for children to learn."
- Reconstructed: The suicide attempt fails, and Julia, determined to make amends, stops being harsh with him and instead helps him to overcome his problems. This results in Character Development for both.
- Played For Laughs: Danny leers and says, "I kinda enjoyed that," so Julia slaps him again.
- Played For Drama: Julia slaps Bob and gives him a nasty speech about how he needs to end his self-pity, which makes Danny very angry slaps her right back, knocking her down the ground. As a result, the two are now in very sour terms and don't want to be anywhere near each other.
Back to Get a Hold of Yourself Man
AND SNAP OUT OF IT!